Chapter 12 - Jake's

Sam put the kickstand down and gently leaned her Bike toward the curb. Dana stood holding the door to Jake's Dinner. They both entered and spied their usual booth. Taking a seat, their helmets were placed next to where they sat. Dana opened her menu and looked at her choices. She lowered her menu to see that Sam was looking at the door and out to the street.

Her hands were clasped with her thumbs tapping against each other. She looked around like a child in a movie theatre that couldn't quite see the screen, bobbing and weaving her head.

"You're not hungry?" Dana asked.

"Starving actually." Sam replied not changing her gaze.

"Do you already know what you want?" Dana said with a hint of sarcasm.

"Yep." Sam said without taking her eyes off the door.

"You know, she said she might come by.  She may not come Sam." Dana teased.

"Mmmm. What?"

"Faith ... She said she might join us. I'm not sure I'd hold my breath if I were you."

"I know ... I just don't want her to miss us if she comes."

Dana placed her menu on the table, looked around the Dinner and giggled. "Sam ... there are five other people in the entire Dinner ... I don't think she'll miss us."

Sam scanned the Dinner, looked at Dana and sheepishly responded, "Oh, yeah."

After the waitress took their order, they talked a bit about the pressures of being college students. Not only did they have classes, they each had their sports, jobs and their social lives. Dana looked up from Sam and smiled.

"Speaking of our social lives ..." Dana motioned to the door

"NO! Really?"

"Uh hu!"

"Shit!"

"I thought you wanted her to come?"

"I did...but now I'm nervous...Oh My God...what do I say?"

"Just be yourself Sam." Dana looked at Sam, "... and breathe!"

Dana waved at Faith, handed Sam the helmet next to her and slid over to make room. Faith Sat next to Dana and breathed a big sigh.

"Sorry I'm late.  I stopped at home and Michelle was there.  I'm realizing that I probably never should have given her a key."

"Well, she could have come too." Dana stated.

"I know.  I asked her to and she got upset and left ... so I thought 'Fuck it' and here I am.  Besides, I'm hungry and have never eaten here before."

"Shut Up!!" Dana exclaimed.

The waitress approached and greeted Faith. She placed a glass of water in front of her. "Coffee Hon?"

"Jayne, our girl Faith here, has never eaten at Jake's before and she has lived here for what?"

"Six." Faith said.

"Six years ... and she has never, I mean never, eaten here.  Can you fucking believe it?"  Dana spoke to Jayne with conviction like Faith had committed a cardinal sin.

Jayne placed her hand on Faith's shoulder, "It's OK hon. I'll be happy to 'de-flower you.' " She gave Faith a wink and put her notepad back in her apron and walked away.

"Umm ... what just happened?" Faith said looking across at Samantha finally.

Sam blushed a little and said, "Jayne was the one who 'de-flowered' us too. It'll be OK."

"She didn't even take my order." Faith said in disbelief. "What the..."

Dana placed her hand on Faith's and said, "It will only hurt afterward.  But, let me say, things are going to be sweet, creamy and a little sticky.  You will remember this night ... and we will have witnessed your first ever 'foodgasm' at Jake's."

"You had me at 'sweet and creamy .'  Now, I think I need a cigarette.  Too bad I quit a year ago ... Jesus!" Faith said.

The three chatted a bit ... then Jayne came with the orders.  Jayne smiled at Faith as she put the most beautiful plate of pancakes in front of her. 

"Here ya go hon.  Enjoy!"

The plate, the size of a platter, had three circular sections about 5 inches in diameter.  In one section were two pancakes separated by a layer of 'cheesecake like' filing.  On top was a layer of strawberry compote with fresh strawberries placed atop.  On the strawberries and four edges were pillows of fresh whipped cream. 

In another section were two more pancakes cradling a layer of fresh sliced bananas with a custard filing.  Atop these pancakes was a drizzling of caramel sauce, more bananas and fresh whipped cream with another layer of caramel drizzled on top as a finishing touch.

The last section was adorn with two more perfectly golden brown pancakes.  Fresh peaches were peaking out from between the pancakes.  On top, was a peach compote with fresh peaches within the sauce. The sauce spilled down the sides and kissed the plate beneath.  Pecans, both candied and fire roasted, were sprinkled atop the peaches.

"Oh my God! They are works of art!" Faith exclaimed, eyes and mouth wipe open.

Dana and Sam kept shooting each other giddy child-like looks every time Faith would make a sound in appreciation of her pancakes.

"Hmmmm ... Oh my God ... these are so good!"

Sam grinned and remarked, "Now you know why we call it a 'Foodgasm'."

Faith took another bite and answered, "OH MY GOD...YES!"

"Whew ... after listening to you revel and  proclaim your sentiment toward your pancakes, I may need a cigarette too." Dana teased.

Faith stopped chewing and covered her mouth, "Oh ... Oh ... I'm sorry.  I didn't realize..."

After eating, Dana and Sam talked about making the most of their Senior year.  Faith joined in, offering advice.

"You ladies should do something amazing for Spring Break."

"Too bad there aren't scholarships or grants for those expenses..." Samantha commented.

"Yeah.  The thought is nice, but after paying everything I need for school, books and rent...not much left for some place amazing." Dana agreed.

"Well,  you still have six months to think and plan.   I'm just saying that you should make a memory ... maybe I can help y'all be creative." Faith replied.

As they walked out if the Diner together, Faith placed her hand on her stomach.

"Now I know why you said it would hurt afterward.  I'm stuffed!  Thanks for inviting me ladies.  I had a blast ... and I was 'de-flowered' which has not happened to me for many years." She said with a smirk.

Sam pulled her hair up as she was getting on her Bike. She then placed her helmet on her head and lifted the face cover.

Dana gave Faith a hug and turned to walk toward Sam on her Bike.  She stopped, turned around and asked Faith, "Hey,  you ever ridden on a motorcycle?"

"Well, actually, no I haven't. Why?"

Dana looked at Samantha then back to Faith. "Just a sec.  Stay here ... ok."

Dana approached Sam and spoke to her quietly then looked at Faith and smiled. Samantha shook her head in acknowledgement and started the bike. 

Dana walked over to Faith, took the helmet from under her arm and handed it to Faith, held out her empty hand and said, "Keys?"

"What? Keys? Umm..."

"I'm driving your car home and going to bed.  Sam here is going to 'de-flower' you yet again.  Let's just call it a 'two for...'."  You can get your keys when you get back with Sam." Dana said, "Unless you don't trust Sam...or me?"

"Jeez...no pressure..." Faith smiled. 

Handing Dana the keys she said, "I will either owe you big time or hate you for this."

"Uh hu.  Enjoy your ride!" Dana said as she winked and walked toward Faith's car.