Chapter 32 - Ready Or Not

"What did you just say?" Sabrina asked wide eyed holding her fork midway to her mouth.

"I said... or she." Dana spoke more clearly.

Mrs. Reiley, looking perplexed asked, "Well, why on earth would you say something like that?"

Samantha's eyes widened as she raised her head from her plate and cleared her throat. She clenched her jaw and took a deep breathe through her nose. This is really happening. She wasn't ready. She knew this was the moment she hoped for. She swallowed the lump in the throat. After taking another breath, she prepared to engaged the conversation, but before she could comment her mother continued.

"Dana, I'm sure you didn't really mean that." Mrs. Reiley finished by patting Dana gently on her arm. Sandra took a breath and opened her mouth to continue.

Interrupting his wife, Samuel cleared his throat. "Sandra... let it alone."

Now with both hands on either side of her plate, Dana answered, "No, Mr. Reiley. It's OK." She turned back to Mrs. Reiley and calmly said without hesitation, "No ma'am, I meant it. I said it because I like both men and women. I date both... Well, not at the same time." she giggled quickly out loud. "I mean, I'm attracted to both men and women alike. I'm what society would define as being Bisexual."

"Dude!" Stephen chimed in with enthusiasm offering Dana a fist-bump across the table. "That's so Hot!"

"Stephen Michael!" Mrs. Reiley scolded.

Dana winked at Stephen as he drew back his hand and sighed. Next to Dana sat a quiet Samantha like a deer in headlights, paralyzed and dazed.

"I don't understand why you would upset our dinner like this Dana? I'm taken back by your mid-dinner declaration. I have to say... I'm quite upset." Mrs. Reiley remarked.

Dana placed her hand on Sandra Reiley's. "Oh no ma'am. I never meant to upset anyone. I was simply responding to your invitation to come visit. I didn't know it would strike a nerve the way it did."

Dana felt a hand on her lap. She reached under the table and gently squeezed the hand traced back to Sam.

Sabrina's look was like Samantha's... stunned and surprised. The difference internally between the two was immensely different, however. This was made clear the minute Sabrina opened her mouth to speak.

"You don't really intend on dating or sleeping with another woman, do you? I mean... you have been with a man, right? I can't imagine after being with a man, you'd even feel being with a woman would feel right."

Samantha squeezed Dana's hand as the emotions began to surface. Dana took a breath, smiled at Sabrina and began her response.

"Well Bri, I don't imagine for you it would feel normal or right since you're obviously straight. To answer your question, yes, I have dated both men and women. By being with, I'm assuming you mean having sex... yeah? I have been with both women and men in that sense, yes. And for me, this is normal because I'm Bi."

Sabrina scrunched up her face like she had just been sprayed by a skunk. "Oh my God, seriously?"

"But, Dana sweetie, you're probably confused or just experimenting right?" Sandra added.

Remaining calm and staying matter of fact Dana replied, "No. I'm neither confused nor at an experiential stage. I'm Full-On Bisexual."

Observing how uncomfortable the room had become Samuel spoke up. "Now that we have that solved, maybe we can go back to enjoying our meal?"