Guzmán | Por Favor

You were desperately looking for Guzmán. It was after Marina's death and these days he was hurting terribly and found refuge in alcohol, which couldn't do him any good. He was drunk most of the time and it was stressing you. You couldn't be 24/7 with him and you were scared he's do something stupid. And right now you were terrified. You had some things to take care of this afternoon and when you went back to his house he wasn't there. You asked his parents but they didn't know anything. You called him but there was no answer. You called your friends but he wasn't with neither one of them. You looked around the neighborhood frantically for a while before coming across at La Cabaña and asking customers if they saw the boy you were describing. An old couple pointed to you towards the bridge meters away. You started running as fast as you could but you stopped dead in your tracks when you found Guzmán standing on the edge of the bridge.

"Guzmán," you called him, "please, come down."

You made a few steps toward him. You could only see his back. Your heart was hammering in your chest and you were afraid.

"It's not fair that we get to live and she died," he gulped down the contents of the bottle he was holding. "She was only sixteen! She had the whole life ahead of her, I should have protected her... And she was pregnant!" He threw the bottle and slightly lost his balance, faltering on the edge.

"Guzmán!" Your heart leaped out of your chest, "I know, I know you're hurting, love, I am too, but this is not the solution. Por favor, come down. You don't want to cause the pain you're feeling to other people, Guzmán. Come down for me, por favor!"

With small steps, you almost reached him. He turned to face you but again stumbled and you held out your hands for him to take and pulled him towards you. You wavered when his body hit yours but you held on tight and released a shaky breath. His hands came around your waist and he hid his face in the crook between your neck and shoulder. You felt his tears fall on your shoulders.

"It's okay, I'm here," as you started speaking again tears blurred your eyes, "don't you ever scare me like that ever again! I thought I was going to lose you. Why would you put me through this pain? Guzmán, I can't live without you. You know how much you mean to me. You're the first thing that I think about in the morning and the last at night. You're my whole world. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you..." You sniffed and he tightened his grip on you, "I know I sound selfish but I don't want to lose you, Guzmán, because I need you."

You stayed silent in the embrace, crying and holding each other like your lives depended on it. And they did. Your heart clenched at the thought of you being too late. But you were right on time and saved Guzmán from jumping off a bridge. Just like he saved your life two years ago.

"Y/n," it was Guzmán, "You've been gone for a—" He rushed to your side, cupping your cheeks. "What did you do? Ayuda! Someone help me!" His eyes darted from your face to the bleeding cuts on your wrists to the door of the locker room. "Stay strong, you're going to be fine," but your eyes were closed and you weren't reacting. He stayed the night in the hospital to make sure you were fine and was by your side every single day, and sometimes night too, of the next months. He made sure you were safe and on the recovery from depression. He made it his mission to make you happy again. And within months he succeeded.

"I'm sorry," he whispered but you shushed him.

All the way home you held his hand, gently squeezing from time to time to which he'd reply with a teary smile or a light squeeze back. You let him have a quick shower then gave him some Advil and a glass of water to ease his hangover. You laid on the bed with him. He nuzzled his nose in the crook of your neck and you played with his hair, waiting for him to fall asleep.

"Y/n, thank you for sav—," he started but you interrupted him right away.

"Don't. I don't want you to even think about that," you kissed the top of his head, "I'm just glad you're fine right now."

"It's all thanks to you," he insisted, "I love you. I'm sorry I made you worry."

"You didn't make me worry, you scared me to death."

"I never meant to. I was just thinking about my pain, not that I could cause the same to you."

"Not only me, Guzmán. There are a lot of people that care about you," you listed a few of his friends then added, "But no one loves you as much as I do."

"I know and I'm grateful for you," he lifted his chin up and placed a tender kiss on your mouth.

"I'm thankful for you too," you spoke, "Sleep now, you need to rest."

He nodded and drifted to sleep in a few minutes. It was still early for you to sleep and anyway you would probably sneak home later. You held him close to your heart, in your arms where he was safe and sound. You needed to talk to him about what happened today but you won't force him to, when he will be ready you will talk. Suddenly he jumped awake.

"I'm here," you circled your hand on his back in a soothing motion.

"Stay with me, stay the night. Por favor, I need to know you're here, I am the one that needs you. Por favor!"

"Go back to sleep, love, I'm not going anywhere, I'll be right here when you wake up."