𝚡𝚡.

𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚕

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛: 𝚡𝚡.

𝚂𝚊𝚏𝚏𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚋𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐. The world around her was aflame. Agonizing pain tore through her arms, her legs, her entire body. She closed her eyes and let the darkness enfold her. 

She saw Finnick's face, watching her with his sea-green eyes, mouthing something she couldn't hear, his face wrought with pain and pity and a strange look of fear. 

"Finnick!" she screamed into the distance. "Finnick, please!" Please what? Come to her? Disappear? Let her leave this strange, horrible world that she had been thrust into? 

"I love you!" he answered her in a strained voice, his perfect eyes filling with tears.

"I love you, too!" she answered. Her voice was strained with tears that she hadn't realized were streaming down her cheek.

"You have to wake up! Saff, you have to wake up!"

She shook her head. "No," she begged. "No, I want to stay with you. Please, I want to stay."

The dark world went fuzzy at the edges and Saffreen realized one word: Morphling.

"Wake up!"

Where was she?

"Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!"

"Finnick, please," she said, but she was slipping, fading away. "Finnick!"

She woke up in a Capitol hospital beneath bright white lights. Receiving new layers of skin, forcing her body to respond, to think that it was her own.

Somewhere far away, a voice was talking about luck. Sheer luck, according to them. Her eyes safe, her face mostly undamaged.

And the baby, somehow fine.

The baby?

Saffreen woke at random intervals, blinking at the harsh lights. 

She was attached to tubes, pumping her full of painkillers and nutrients. "She'll need double," someone said as the pressed a needle into her arm. "We'll have to work harder to keep the baby alive."

She wanted to come back fully. To ask just what they meant. What baby? There wasn't a baby, there couldn't be.

"Six weeks by the look of it," the distant voice informed its helpers.