𝚡𝚟𝚒.

𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚕

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛: 𝚡𝚟𝚒.

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚊𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚠𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚎𝚖𝚙𝚝𝚢. The woman must have hoped that a neighbor would hear her cry. 

"How long do you think we have before they figure out some of us could've survived?" Katniss asked.

Saffreen was still crying, though she was starting to dry out, her face red and splotchy. A spot of red film disfigured her vision in her left eye. 

"I think they could be here any time," Gale said. "They knew we were heading for the streets. Probably the explosion will throw them for a few minutes, then they'll start looking for our exit point."

Cressida had draped an arm around Saffreen in a vague attempt at comfort.

Peeta sat down on a sofa, teeth clamped down on a pillow. Gale was losing blood from his neck wound. Pollux was stood at a fireplace, leaning on one elbow against the mantel, crying.

Cressida stood tall, as tall as she could, holding Saffreen, moving to join Katniss at the windows.

The only good news, they were close to Snow's mansion.

Katniss finally looked at Saffreen, registering her face, streaked with tears. A blood vessel had burst in her left eye from the force of her sobs. She swallowed hard and looked at the others before saying, "Let's check her closets."

They found selections of clothes for both men and women. Katniss called everyone to dress in them. Peeta's wrists were bloodied from the cuffs. Katniss started to draw out the key, but he stopped her. "No. Don't. They help me hold together."

"You might need your hands," Gale informed him.

"When I feel myself slipping, I dig my wrists into them, and the pain helps me focus," Peeta answered.

Katniss let it be.

They dressed in the Capitol clothes, bright, colorful fabrics and wigs. Makeup helped disguise their faces from anyone who might recognize them. Sunglasses for Saffreen, since no one in the Capitol would be caught dead with her eye the way it was. Cressida wrapped scarves around Peeta and Katniss noses and mouths.

They stuffed whatever food and first aid supplies they could carry into their pockets. Saffreen had stopped crying but was shaking as she walked, leaning forward as if she might fall over any second.

"Stay together," Katniss instructed when they reached the front door.

And out they went. Snow was falling in soft flurries. People moved around them, speaking about rebels and hunger and Katniss.