𝚟.

𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚕

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛: 𝚟.

"𝚃𝚞𝚛𝚗 𝚒𝚝 𝚘𝚏𝚏." Saffreen kept saying it, even though the screen had gone to black. Finnick was clutching her hands, whispering to her words that she couldn't hear over the chaos in the room. "Turn it off. Turn it off."

Haymitch's voice dragged her back to reality. "Shut up!" All eyes fell to him. Saffreen was shaking. She pulled her legs up onto the chair, pressing her knees to her chest. Haymitch continued. "It's not some big mystery! The boy's telling us we're about to be attacked. Here. In Thirteen."

Questions rose up. "How would he have that information?"

"Why should we trust him?"

"How do you know?"

Haymitch let out a growl, growing frustrated. "They're beating him bloody while we speak. What more do you need? Katniss, help me out here!"

Katniss seemed to shake herself out of a daze. "Haymitch's right," she said after a moment. "I don't know where Peeta got the information. Or if it's true. But he believes it. And they're-" she went silent.

"You don't know him," Haymitch told Coin. "We do. Get your people ready."

Coin considered this, tapping a finger on the rim of the control board in front of her. When she finally spoke, her voice was even. "Of course, we have prepared for such a scenario. Although we have decades of support for the assumption that further direct attacks on Thirteen would be counterproductive to the Capitol's cause. Nuclear missiles would release radiation into the atmosphere, within calculable environmental results. Even routine bombing could badly damage our military compound, which we know they hope to regain. And, of course, they invite a counterstrike. It is conceivable that, given our current alliance with the rebels, those would be viewed as acceptable risks."

"You think so?" Haymitch said, voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I do. At any rate, we're overdue for a Level Five security drill. Let's proceed with the lockdown."

She tapped away at her keyboard.

Then it began.

There had only been two low-level drills in the time since Saffreen had arrived. The first she was exempt from. She still had a little bracelet proclaiming that she was mentally disoriented. And Finnick was just starting to slip away. The hospital had been allowed to keep moving. It would've been too much of a hassle to get everyone out.

The second time was a Level Two. Everyone was meant to go to their living quarters. Saffreen had stayed with Finnick during it.

But those drills were nothing like this.

Saffreen jumped at the sound of a siren filling the Control room. She put her head between her knees and fought back tears. 

Katniss had to pry her out of the seat so that she, Katniss, and Finnick could be led out to a stairway. People came from every doorway, getting in line calmly, even as Saffreen shook and blinked away the tears that were starting to get free.

They descended, going deeper and deeper underground. Claustrophobia was beginning to set in. The deeper they went the quieter the siren became, but Saffreen was still stumbling down the stairs. Groups began to separate from the bulk, led away into rooms off to the sides.

But Saffreen, Finnick, and Katniss kept on moving downward until they reached a cavern. Katniss started to walk straight ahead but their guide stopped her, telling her to hold up the schedule on her arm in front of a scanner.

They were sent off to their own compartments within the cavern. Saffreen and Finnick were separated. He kissed her first on the forehead then the lips before they went to their compartments. 

Saffreen took a breath, trying to steady herself, as she read over the list of rules on the wall.

Number One: Make sure all members of your Compartment are accounted for.

That was easy.  She was the only one.

Number Two: Go to the Supply Station and secure one pack for each member of your Compartment. Ready your Living Area. Return pack(s).

She found the Supply Station at the far end of the cavern. Katniss was leaving it already. 

Another deep breath and she made her way over, giving her compartment letter and requesting a single pack in a clear, calm, voice. "Thank you," she said when she was handed a pack.

She looked through the pack back at her compartment. Clothes, a thin mattress, a toothbrush, a comb, a flashlight.

There was only one more rule left.

Number Three: Await further instructions.

Saffreen sighed, climbing onto the top bunk of her compartment, pulling her legs up. No one would be joining her.

There was some commotion at the doors as they shut but Saffreen ignored it. She closed her eyes, trying to keep her breathing steady. This was bad.

The sirens cut out. Coin's voice came over the speakers. She thanked them for their exemplary execution of the lockdown, stressing that it was not a drill, that Peeta had hinted at a reference to an attack on Thirteen.

And then the first bomb hit.

Saffreen bit hard at her lip, containing the scream that threatened to tear out of her throat. Her teeth seemed to be vibrating. It felt as if she was falling from a very high distance, but in all reality, she hadn't moved an inch.

The lights went out. Cries and a shrill laugh echoed off of the stone walls. Heavy breathing filled the air.

She wondered, briefly, how Finnick must have felt.

Coin's voice returned. "Apparently, Peeta Mellark's information was sound and we owe him a great debt of gratitude. Sensors indicate the first missile was not nuclear, but very powerful. We expect more will follow. For the duration of the attack, citizens are to stay in their assigned areas unless otherwise notified."

They were given permission to go and brush their teeth and use the bathroom. Saffreen met Finnick in the crowd and gave him a tight hug. He wanted to join her in her compartment. He pleaded with her. It took everything within her not to agree. She didn't want to break the rules and make someone angry with her. She'd had enough of people hating her.