𝚡𝚒𝚒𝚒.

𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚕

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛: 𝚡𝚒𝚒𝚒.

𝙺𝚊𝚝𝚗𝚒𝚜𝚜 𝚝𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚐𝚎. Everyone followed her into the living room, where the black goo had settled across the furniture. Outside was much the same, covered in a sheen of shiny black. It was like a gel and, thankfully, left no footprints.

The net containing Mitchell hung down, coated in the stuff. Only the shape of his hand, clutching at his gun, was visible. Saffreen shivered, shying away from the sight.

Katniss didn't speak until everyone had stopped before the net. "If anyone needs to go back, for whatever reason, now is the time," she said. "No questions asked, no hard feelings."

No one moved. Katniss nodded stiffly, and they got moving deeper into the Capitol.

The gell grew thicker, making sucking sounds whenever they lifted their feet, but still, their footsteps were concealed. 

Several blocks ahead were covered. It became clear that its appearance had set off more pods. A pile of tracker jackers, muttations of normal wasps, lay on the ground.

Further ahead, a building had exploded and was now covered in a mound of gell. 

On their fifth block, the gell thinned out. They would have to start being on alert for pods.

The light was fading. Katniss picked out an apartment. Homes picked the lock and everyone crowded inside. 

The flashlights on their guns lit up the living room. The walls were covered with mirrors. Gale checked the windows and took off his mask. "It's all right," he said. "You can smell it, but it's not too strong."

The others took off their masks, besides Saffreen, who wasn't sure she could handle another breath of it. 

The gell covered the windows, letting only a little bit of light come through.

On the second floor, everyone settled into couches and chairs. Saffreen and Finnick shared a chair, Saffreen resting her head on his shoulder, sitting in his lap, his arms around her waist.

Jackson had her gun trained directly on Peeta, who was still unconscious. 

Saffreen took in a deep breath. She realized she was shaking and closed her eyes. Finnick's grip tightened.

Somewhere in the distance, more explosions went off, making the apartment shake slightly.

"It wasn't close," Jackson said, trying to be reassuring. "A good four or five blocks away."