Chapter 29: Chunin Exam Stage 2: The Forest of Death!

Btw, the image above is her ninja card, drawn by me, but "provided" by Kabuto. Sorry if the words are hard to read, I tried my best. I hope everyone is safe during these troubling times! Hopefully the same picture won't appear 5 times in a row, but Wattpad hates me in that aspect...

Naruko's POV

Today is the day of the Chunin Exam's second stage: The Forest of Death. Everyone that had passed the first stage was here, just outside the gates of the huge training forest. Everyone was silent as they watched the ominous forest, watching a huge centipede crawl up the side of a tree and a giant snake eat a small bird with one bite. A bird could be heard calling in the distance.

"This whole place just completely creeps me out," Sakura said, hands in front of her chest as she looked at the forest in fear. I placed a hand gently on her shoulder, as to not surprise her.

"That's the whole point of this place," I said softly. I looked up and glared at her as she chuckled a little.

"It should," Anko smirked. "They call it the Forest of Death. And soon enough, you're gonna find out why." I glared harshly at her again, but I was subtle about it, for the sake of my teammates. Naruto huffed and took up a mocking stance, putting his hands on his hips and sticking his butt out a little, shaking it from side to side.

""They call it the Forest of Death. And soon enough, you're gonna find out why"," he taunted. "Do your worst! You're not gonna scare me away! I can handle anything!" he said confidently, pointing right at Anko.

"Naruto watch your step with her," I hissed softly to him, watching Anko carefully.

"So... looks like we got ourselves a tough guy," She smiled at him, tilting her head to the side. My eyes widened as her eye twitched and a kunai fell from within her right sleeve into her hand. I realized too late what she was going to do with the kunai to react, so I wasn't able to stop it from flying past Naruto's head, slightly cutting his left cheek. I watched as she vanished and appeared behind Naruto faster than one can follow. "Are you tough enough to handle this?" she asked him. "You're not afraid, are you?" Naruto couldn't even form proper words as he tried to comprehend what just happened. If looks could kill, then my glare would probably have the effect of Itachi's Mangekyō Sharingan. "Tough guys like you usually leave their blood all over this forest." She started to let some of the blood seeping from Naruto's cheek onto her left index finger when both of us sensed/saw a presence appearing behind her. She pulled out another kunai, as did I to protect Naruto, and turned to face the presence.

"I was just returning your knife," a woman with long black hair said. She had her incredibly long tongue wrapped around the hilt of Anko's kunai knife as she held it next to her hand.

"Why thank you, Grass Ninja," Anko smiled tensely. I recognized the grass ninja to be the one I spotted at the gate nearly a week ago. The one I thought had a weird chakra and aura around her. I looked at her intently, trying to figure her out, but, frustratingly, to no avail. Anko was also looking at the ninja intently as well.

"You know, I really only recommend you stand this close behind me if you wish to reach a premature end," Anko said as she took her kunai knife back.

"My pardon," the grass ninja said after she pulled her tongue back into her mouth. I couldn't help but think that her tongue was too similar to another person's tongue, which made a shiver creep up my spine. "With the sight of blood and your blade slicing through my hair, I'm afraid that I just became a little excited. I meant you no harm."

"Naruto..." I heard Hinata say softly in worry.

"Likewise," Anko told the grass ninja as she walked away to her teammates, chuckling a little.