Chapter 28: Special Report: Live from the Forest of Death!

Naruko's POV

It was about 8 in the morning, and all of the candidates that passed the first exam were standing at the meeting spot that Anko told our squad leaders. Everyone was tense as we looked at the sight in front of us.

"Whoa, nice place," Naruto said nervously. "What is it?" In front of us, behind a sturdy metal fence, was a gigantic, dark forest.

"This is the location for the second phase of the exam," Anko said. "It's the 44th Battle Training Zone. But we call it the Forest of Death." A strong breeze rushed over us as we all remained silent.

"Forest of Death?" Naruto confirmed. I heard shuffling to my left. I was a little bit behind Naruto and the rest of Team 7 with Haku to my right. I looked down and saw a square box that looked like rocks... barely. "Hm?" Naruto hummed as he looked to my left and the box too.

<Fake ricks?> Naruto wondered. <What's up with that?> Naruto took a few steps forward and stopped, the box following him. Naruto then took off running. Again, the box followed him.

"Does this happen often?" Haku asked me.

"Sort of," I sighed as Naruto ran around for nearly a full minute before stopping to face the rock, which came to a screeching halt.

"That's the worst disguise of all time!" Naruto yelled, pointing down at the rock. "There's no such thing as square rocks! It's completely obvious!"

"Well, there are chiseled rocks," Haku said softly.

"I tried telling him that," I sighed again.

"You saw through my camouflage again!" Konohamaru's voice came from the box. "You're slick, boss. Just what I'd expect from my greatest rival." Naruto gasped as the box glowed bright and exploded three times with light blue, yellow, and pink smoke. The smoke cleared to reveal three young kids on the ground, coughing from the gunpowder. "I think we used a little too much gunpowder, you guys," Konohamaru said.

"Huh?" all three kids asked and looked up at Naruto.

"I'm Moegi, the sassiest kunoichi in preschool," Moegi said, the trio starting their usual introduction. "Check me out!"

"I love algebra," Udon continued. "Call me Udon."

"And I'm the number one ninja in the village," Konohamaru said. "Konohamaru! And when we're all together..."

"We're the Konohamaru Ninja Squad!" they all finished together, each striking a pose. 'Got to admit that their ambition is pretty adorable.' I thought.

"Yeah I knew it was you guys the whole time," Naruto said, hands behind his head. "What do you losers want? I'm getting ready to take the second phase of the Chunin Exam, and you're interrupting me. I don't have time to be playing around with you guys now."

"We didn't come to play around, boss," Konohamaru said. "We're on official business."

"Yeah, that's right," Moegi said. "We came here for an exclusive interview."

"Uh-huh. Uh-huh," Udon nodded.

"An interview, huh?" Naruto asked, looking mildly interested.

"We're here on assignment to write an article for the academy's newspaper," Konohamaru explained. "It's a bigtime feature story, all about the Chunin Selection Examinations."

"So that's why we want to do an exclusive interview with you and Naruko," Moegi said. 'Huh? Me?' I wondered. She then turned to me. "Please tell us you're going to do it?"