Chapter 23: Identify Yourself: Powerful New Rivals

(A/N: I Hope you all read the last chapter I posted, the one with the explanation. Some of what I said will be put into play in this chapter and the next ones throughout the Chunin Exams. Thank you all for being this patient as well. I'm afraid my carpal tunnel has returned and slowed down my progress with chapters, I'll do my best to continue posting though as soon as I can.)

Naruko's POV

"You're an embarrassment to our village," Gaara said. Naruto, Sakura, and Temari all gasped. "Have you forgotten the reason we came all the way here?"

"I know. I, I mean, they challenged us," Kankuro said. I glared at him from under my mask. "They started the whole thing, really. See, here's what happened."

"Shut up," Gaara said curtly. Kankuro grunted. "Or I'll kill you." Gaara narrowed his eyes at Kankuro.

"Ah, right," Kankuro said. "I was totally out of line. I'm--I'm sorry Gaara. I was totally out of line."

"I'm sorry for any trouble he caused," Gaara said flatly to the others.

<This guy has an evil look in his eye.> Sasuke thought.

<He can't help it, Sasuke.> I told him. <He isn't evil though.>

<He stopped Kankuro with a pebble.> Gaara thought, talking about Sasuke. <Made it look easy. This guy is someone to keep an eye on.> Gaara's body turned to sand as he fell to the ground. His body reformed, kneeling on the ground and he stood up, turning away.

"Let's go," He told his siblings. "We didn't come here to play games."

"All right, sure," Kankuro said. "I get it." Gaara started to walk away, but Sakura ran forward.

"Hold on!" She yelled. The others kept walking. "Hey!"

"What?" Temari asked when they all stopped.

"I can tell from your headband that you come from the Village Hidden in the Sand," Sakura said. "Of course the Land of Fire and the Land of Wind are allies, but no shinobi can enter another's village without permission. So state your purpose. And it better be good." I facepalmed.

"Sakura, we have ninja at the gates who check these things before ninja, and civilians, even step one foot through the gate," I groaned. "Plus, there are many ninja teams gathering here for the same purpose!"

"Really," Temari said, all three sand siblings turning around. "Have you all been living under a rock or what? Except you, of course, Naruko," Temari said, looking at me. I gave her a nod.

"It's good to see you again," I told her. "Though I wish it were under better circumstances."

"Same here," She agreed. She then turned back to the others. "You don't know what's going on, do you?" She pulled out her passport from her pocket. "We have permission." Sasuke gasped. "Of course, you're correct. We are Hidden Sand Genin. Our home is in the Land of the Wind. And we're here for the Chunin exams. Get the picture?"

"The Chunin exams?" Naruto asked. "What's that? Well, I've never heard of any Chunin exams, believe it."

"That's because you missed the lesson in the academy, and didn't pay attention when I tried catching you up," I sighed.

"I believe it, all right, that you're totally clueless," Temari said, laughing a little.

<I can hardly believe that's your brother.> Temari said, looking at me. <You two are so different considering you're twins.>

<Watch it Temari.> I warned her. <I've been patient with you and Kankuro for old time's sake, but don't push it when it comes to my brother. He takes after my mother while I take after my father... mostly. My temper, though, I got from her.> I showed her a mental image of my eyes flashing slits, which she knows to be a bad sign.