Chapter 12: Forest of Chakra

Kakashi's POV

I groaned as I woke up, my body in pain and stiff. "I think I overdid it with my Sharingan," I said. I then thought about Naruko. "She gonna kill me," I sighed. "There's no way I'm going to hear the end of it."

"Waking up, huh?" A woman with long black hair said, walking up to me. "Are you all right?"

"I've been better," I said. "It'll be a week before I can move normally." I tried to sit up and groaning a bit while doing so.

"See, its better if you don't move, so lie down," The lady said. I groaned and laid back down.

"Right," I said. I heard footsteps and saw Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura walk into the room. I heard Naruto gasp.

"Look, the Sensei's coming around," He said.

"Listen, Sensei, your Sharingan is amazing and everything, but if it puts that much strain on you, maybe it's not worth it," Sakura said, sitting to my left.

"Sorry," I said.

"Huh. Well, you did take down one of the most powerful ninja assassins, with Naruko of course, so we'll be safe for a while," Tazuna said.

"Right, but that boy with the mask, what about him?" Sakura asked.

"He's from the elite tracking unit of the Village Hidden in the Mist," I said. "Those masks are only worn by the most elite shinobi." 'I know Naruko has one, but she's just about the only one I know that does.' I thought. 'I mean, she has many masks from when she was travelling, but still...'

"What exactly do they do?" Sakura asked.

"The ANBU Black Ops, also known as the Inferno Squad, destroy all traces of a rogue ninja's corpse," I told her. "The Shinobi's body carries many secrets-- Ninjutsu, chakra, and special medicines used on his body. These are the secrets of his village. If his enemies find them, his people will be in grave danger. For instance, if I, or Naruko, were to die at the hands of an enemy, he would try to analyze my Sharingan, and Naruko, her ninjutsu and her chakra. In the worst case, my entire jutsu could be stolen and used against our home village, and Naruko's chakra and jutsu knowledge as well. It is the sacred duty of the Shinobi trackers to prevent this, to keep the village secrets safe. If a ninja betrays his village, the trackers hunt him down, eliminate him, and obliterate every trace of his existence. That's their specialty."

Naruko's POV

"I'm coming for you," A voice said. One I've been avoiding for years. "You know who my target is."

"No! I won't let you hurt him!" I yelled. "I'll die before you give him a curse mark!"

"What happens if you don't die, and I do mark him?" The voice asked.

"I'll find a way to get rid of it!" I yelled. "I won't let you take him away from me too!"

"Oh? Still clinging onto the past, I see," The voice said. "Are you still sad when I "turned" on you? When I killed your only friend? The one who had started to fall for you?"

"Of course I am!" I growled. "Why would you do something like that in the first place?"

"Letting you get close to someone like him was dangerous," he said. "I was just looking out for you again. It is dangerous for everyone if you get close to someone, Naruko. Cause if you get hurt, others will die." I felt something slash my eye, right over my scars.

I woke up and refrained from crying out in pain. I cried and turned onto my right side, clutching my bandaged stomach and eye. I heard Haku gasp and Zabuza growl. 'So he's still alive.' I thought.