Episode 2, Pt. 1

"In Which Reality is a Teenage Purgatory Known as High School"

(Pt. 1)

· · ·

High School. Society's bright idea to put all their aggressive, naïve youth into one environment to torment and emotionally scars each other for life."

-

Chris Colfer, Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

· · ·

September 13

8:45 AM

Belle Mont Prep

"Darling you gotta let me know, should I stay or should I go?"

I mouth along to the chord progression of The Clash's 'Should I Stay or Should I Go', my fingers itching to twiddle on an air-guitar.

It was the perfect tune for the view in front of me.

Belle Mont Prep. Or, as I call it, Averill's very own teenage purgatory.

An essentialist's paradise for learning where every kid is taught and raised to be mindful and ready for what life — and adulthood — has to offer ahead. 

It was a place of never-ending high school drama that is borderline cliché. It was also a place where integrity, teamwork, excellence, and diversity are easily overshadowed by petty status quos, stereotyped cliques, and petty bribes.

Even its students weren't any better.

To maintain the status quo, the majority immerse themselves in a sociocultural reality driven by imagery and hype.

It was where your social worth is determined by how wide and deep your parents' wallets are, what type of car you drive, and which gated community you come from.

Also, let's not forget about dressing and looking the part of a societal priss who takes great pride in acquiring the latest trends and knows when to exert caution from wearing last season's Prada or Gucci

I trek along the massive parking lot, passing some expensive cars on the way. Not that I care. I can only name several car brands with one hand.

I give a light sidekick to a brand-new Audi.