Episode 1.1

"In Which Fairytales End"

· · ·

"O, to be sure, we laugh less and play less and wear uncomfortable disguises like adults, but beneath the costume is the child we always are, whose needs are simple, whose daily life is still described by fairy tales."

Leo Rosten

· · ·

Years Ago...

Berlin, Germany

"I love you. You don't know how much I really love you," she whispers, her voice rasped and her words halting.

"Back at you, darling," he grunts, the years of acclimation to their home clear in his drawl. She lifts her head from his chest, her expression clearly sullen and lips pouting. She looks at him pointedly.

"Even after so many years, you still can't say it directly,"' she scoffs, her voice humorous yet hollow.

She rests her head back to his chest, breathing in his cool minty scent. By now, she can imagine him rolling his eyes — as he had always done when she's in one of her 'moods'.

She sighs, burrowing her face deeper into his chest.

He groans before mumbling what could be heard as "I love you."

Almost like lightning, she lifts her head to face him again. "What did you say?"

"I didn't say anything," he grumbles, his eyes looking away.

She frowns, pouting again. "Of course, you didn't."

His eyes flicker at her frowning face and mumbled a what-the-heck before saying in a clearer tone. "I love you."

She turns to him disbelievingly.

He turns away.

She narrows her eyes and scoffs. "Fifteen years of marriage, and you still can't even look at me when you say it."

He doesn't respond.

"I love you, too,"' she softly whispers, tears welling in her eyes.

He surprises her by facing her again, his face serious and his eyes determined.