Episode 18, Pt. 1

"In Which Reality is a Terrible Match Made in The Garage"

(Pt. 1)

· · ·

"I've been single for a while, and I have to say, it's going very well ... like, it's working out. I think I'm the one. "

-

 Rebel Circus 

· · ·

The Garage, Downtown Square

6:18 PM

"When I was young, I never needed anyone, and making love was just for fun. Those days are gone ..."

Walking into The Garage, with Eric Carmen crooning to the slow dramatic beginning of 'All By Myself' wasn't the first thing I expected to be welcomed to.

Nor, the juxtaposed view of a bunch of hairy men, ranging from their early 20s to their early 50s and sporting random stains of grease and sweat on their grey coveralls; caught in a choreographic clangor of tinkering a vast array of metalwork while mouthing off to the lyrics by heart like it was a standard occurrence.

"... All by myself
Don't wanna be
All by myself
Anymore ..."

No, I expected Queen or Metallica — or anything heavy metal that would put a sense of congruity to this current picture of men who looked like they've been raised to pump irons* their whole lives. 

Scratch that. Anything would've been better than this — as long as it's not another message from the universe taunting me of the sheer dreadfulness of my situation.

Probably something upbeat, I ponder as I shuffle through the playlist of an old — and expertly restored by Pops — jukebox.

This, of course, causes the song to stop — and nearly everyone's attention zones in on me.

In a customary day-to-day behavior, I would've strutted this place and greeted a few of them with a laid-back "Whazzup?". Maybe even drop by for a quick chat, or just simply acknowledge their existence with the slightest of nods.

But this wasn't like those usual moments, I think to myself, passing by a lengthy row of high-end sports and luxury cars — including a circa 2015 Rolls-Royce Ghost that had the misfortune to rub against a lamp post.