Blessed

"Miss (Y/N)? Miss (Y/N), it's time to arise."

Waking up, it practically felt as though a year had passed. Your head and heart pounded in unison, making you feel dizzy under the unusually still air that clung itself over your bed.

A worker of the manor stood at the windows, pulling the curtains open quickly to let the light in. Though you veered away from the blinding sun, you obediently sat up and stretched your muscles.

"I've brought up your own clothing, washed. I'll leave today's appropriate attire, courtesy of Princess Chrystal, on the bedding for you, after breakfast." She bowed and left, closing the door carefully as to not make so much noise.

Everything felt so sluggish. You couldn't seem to move any faster, even though you wanted to. A bad feeling rested itself in your stomach- today would surely be the longest day of your life.

Fumbling with the fabric of your items, tears escaped your eyes with no real emotion at all. Certainly not joy, but they weren't sorrowful either. Empty and clear. That would change, though, as the day would go on. You knew that.

The savory smell of an unknown meal made its way to your nose, all the way down from the kitchen. Hunger was not a priority, but everyone else would be down there. It was expected you join them.

You had the weirdest dream the previous night. A very beautiful, and motherly-like woman sat in a chair across from you. When she spoke, rather than words, a lovely tune filled the air and calmed you to sleep. Everytime you fell asleep, she would get more and more transparent, until there was nothing but the music.

"Child?" You were snapped out of your melodic day dream by an older, raspy voice. It was Everette Riley, from Queston. As soon as you realized you had been accidentally ignoring him, you bowed in apology.

"I'm very sorry! I wasn't paying very much attention. I'll watch where I'm going from now on."

He shook his head lightly. "No, (Y/N). I wanted to express something of urgency to you before I must leave today."

"Of course, anything." His old, shaking hands reached out and grabbed yours; his eyes piercing and concerned.

"You are in grave danger."

His words threw you off immediately, even though his tone has hinted at something sinister beforehand.

"What do you mean?" With anyone else, you would've pulled away and created a little distance, but his hands were comforting and his demeanor was calming. You had no idea why you were upset, but he already made you feel better.

"A threatening aura has leeched onto the people around you, and is growing. Please, listen to me, child. It is dire that you finish the task you have set out for yourself, then escape as soon as possible. Otherwise, I fear the worst for you."

As Everette drops your hands and continues down the hall, you find yourself frozen in the middle of the walkway. Who could possibly want to do you harm? And within the circle of the castle?

Laelius..?

Your own thought pissed you off. No, he's not a 'threatening aura'. If he was, he wouldn't be one step away from being King. He wouldn't be so open and vulnerable to you. Maybe he's had temperament issues in the past, but now? He's changed. Still angry, you stomped the rest of your way downstairs.

Avery Durand, from Pathen, stood at the open doors of the castle, speaking with Laelius. As with most everyone you’ve seen speak with her, he had on an awkward face as she squawked. You headed over, reluctant to get your fair share of the earful, too.

She instantly scoffed. “Well, I thought you’d never awaken. Even feared I’d leave without getting a final word in with you.” She rolled her eyes and waved you forth, then snapped back to Laelius. “Leave us be, boy.” Laelius sighed a breath of relief and stepped away, heading for the wall across from the doors.