The Court

"The line's pretty long today, huh, mum?" (Y/N) asked her mother as they walked into the opening of the castle. The line would barely ever make it to the door, let alone outside of the large thing. 

"I wonder why. It's not a particularly special day, or anything. Let's hurry before the line gets any longer." She sped up their walking speed a bit, passing a few citizens as they walked down the hall. (Y/N) noticed a pair of people who held more than 4 gifts. It would take ages for the King and the Queen to open those, so the young girl let go of her mother's hand and ran ahead, carefully weaving through the scattered gift-bringers. 

"(FIRST AND MIDDLE NAME), what are you doing?" Her mother called to her gently. She didn't look back at her until she reached the end of the line, taking the spot before the heavy carriers made it there first. She watched as her mother did a graceful fast walk to her, embarrassment making her face a dusty rose. "Why would you do that? These people got here first, you don't have the right to be so disrespectful." She scolded her daughter, and smacked (Y/N)'s hand lightly. Not enough to leave a mark, just enough to make her feel a bit ashamed. 

"I'm sorry, mum. I didn't mean to. But, isn't it fair? We have less gifts than them." The young girl gestured towards the people lining up behind them now.

"Fairness is trade on both ends, my dear. Not using unjust advantages to get there first." 

"Excuse me. How rude!" A lady 3 people behind the two called out. "We're all distraught over this, and we all want to send our condolences. Quit being such a dishonorable young lady, wait your turn, and don't run in hallways. Didn't your mother ever teach you manners?" The woman was old, and her skin sagged loose off of her face, moving side to side when she spoke.

"I-I'm sorry, ma'am-" (Y/N) started to apologize, but her mother put her arm across (Y/N)'s body, as though trying to shield her away. 

"I've already explained to her the issue in her doings. What do you mean condolences?" The mother asked, stepping out of line a bit to hear the skin bag's answer.

"Oh, you must be one from the outer, poorer village. Explains your lack of gifts, manners, and knowledge, among other things. The prince was stabbed by an unknown assailant yesterday night. He's ok, but it was terrifying for the young one's family. That's why we've brought a plethora of desserts from the bakeries around, and we keep him in our prayers." The holier-than-thou skin bag closed her eyes and whispered an amen under her breath, a small smirk on her face. "And what did you bring them?" (Y/N)'s mother didn't answer, however, and just continued to stare forward, shuffling with the line as it went. 

"Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I can see." The old woman snarked. 

"Don't worry about what she says, darling. What you brought is lovely, and a sufficient gift for them." The young girl looked down at what she had brought; a scrap book of flowers and leaves you had been taught to make. She had grown the flowers with her mother and picked some of the nicest ones to flatten out. The memories of pricking her finger on the rose bushes brought a smile to the girl's eye.

"I like it, too." She said to her mother. 

The line was moving at a stable pace, about 2 steps forward every 45 seconds. It was still long though to trouble an impatient mind, though. Which son had been attacked? (Y/n) slightly hoped it wasn't Laelius, the boy who she had grown to like. She had never talked to him, but he always smiled at her, and she felt compelled to smile back. A crush.

She knew of the other prince, but he wasn't there as much, and when he was, he seemed very bored and irritated. While (y/n) didn't want the other prince to be hurt either, she knew that her heart wanted the nice prince safe first.