Dinner

The carriage ride back to the palace was silent. Everyone sat in their seat, reflecting on the outcome of the court, especially you. As you had walked out towards the doors, some people near the edge of the rows would casually congratulate you all, through worried tones and angered minds. Once outside, the carriage waited, and as your party began to file into it, you requested a few minutes to wait for your parents, hoping you would get a chance to say a final farewell to them, before you had to depart for a few more days. You were granted as much time as you needed, and so, within the fast moving crowd, you stood, searching for those familiar faces. Once spotted, you all embraced.

"Please, be careful. Don't ever let the guards leave your side." Your father had instructed you.

"Keep us in your mind, my darling." Your mother had asked.

And then, you waved goodbye as they made their way away from the crowd, and you made your way into the carriage. Once inside, before the thing even began to move, Methodius quickly informed you all that the other court members would be joining you all for dinner, and possibly even staying the night before heading back to their respective territories.

"The castle doors will be closed, and so will any guest rooms, except for those that will be used by any of them, or you, Y/N. As a safety measure."

You lay back in the large bath, feeling the warm water soak it's way into your tense joints. A bath was just what you needed in order to calm your nerves. The basin was huge, and took up most of the washroom connected to your temporary residency. You washed your limbs and hair thoroughly, not rushing to leave the warm embrace. Once you felt as though you were clean enough, you excited the bath and began to dry off, thoughts of your day coming back.

"You've done us all a bit of justice, Y/N. Living and dead." Laelius's words popped into your mind, leaving a cold feeling on your skin where he grabbed your hand earlier. You turned to the mirror, and watched yourself as you fixed your hair, attempting to look a bit less ragged. Once you were satisfied, you wrapped your body in your towel, looking away from your reflection.

"I remember seeing you the first day you visited, when you brought the music box. You were very cute." Laelius and the moment you two has shared on your bed flew into your thoughts, and on looking back to your reflection, you found a small blush plaguing your face. You felt embarrassed, quickly leaving the bathroom and imagery behind. Such informal thoughts about the prince shouldn't be haunting your mind, yet as you dressed yourself in a provided gown, you dragged your embrace with him back into view, and slightly wished you could go back.

"Ugh! Let's just get to dinner!" You verbally scorned yourself, not bothering to peak at yourself in the dark blue gown before making your way to the door out of your room.

"I hope that we can be friends and confide in each other when it is needed, as long as you serve the kingdom." You leaned your forehead against the door, hands falling to your sides like noodles. His generosity of the whole ordeal made it hard not appreciate his words, so your longing for his presence was justified. He was your friend, and you were helping him, and then you were going to leave-

A sudden loud knock on your door sends you jumping backwards, a yelp crawling its way out of your throat.

"Y/N? Are you ok?" A voice came through the door. You quickly shook off your sudden scare, and pulled open the door to see Laelius. His face reminded you of why you were leaving against the door in the first place, and you felt face go warm.

"I'm fine!" You blurted, a little loud, your voice cracking a bit.

"Are you sure? You look a little warm." He held his hand up to your forehead, but you pulled it back down.