clix.

- - -
failure is an inevitability. every scientist was told no, over and over. the ones we remember, the ones who changed our lives: the curies, the salks, the barnards.
- - -

meredith honks her horn vigorously as she and derek sit in her car waiting for maggie.

"what happened to carpooling with lia and mark?" derek turns to meredith.

"they're carpooling with owen and amelia now because lia was sick of waiting outside our house for twenty minutes everyday," meredith explains before slamming her hand down on the horn again. "and now i'm starting to understand what she means."

"i'm here. i'm here," maggie opens the car door and clambers inside with her toothbrush still in her mouth, and a stack of mail in her hand. "i know you're mad. i am so, so sorry. we can go."

"i got my contract," meredith tells maggie as she passes it her.

"chief of general surgery. yay," maggie cheers and derek chuckles and meredith starts to drive.

as meredith is driving, she notices maggie frowning in her rear-view mirror whilst she's reading meredith's new contract.

"what was that?" meredith asks.

"hmm?" maggie raises her brow. "what was what?"

"that face- you just made a face," meredith tells her.

"mm- i don't- i don't- i don't make faces," maggie shakes her head.

"you did. you just made a face like this," meredith imitates maggie's expression.

"no, i don't think so," maggie insists.

"you made a face."

■ ■ ■

meredith, maggie, and derek are walking through the hospital together as maggie is looking at an invitation in her hands.

"you're making that face again," meredith tells maggie.

"i didn't make a face," maggie protests. "i just, um- there's a party for someone i know who's getting married- ethan. ethan is getting married."

"who's ethan?" derek furrows his brow.

"maggie's ex-boyfriend, ethan- from radiology. come on they dated for like six months last year," meredith explains.

"so, someone invited you to your ex-boyfriend's wedding?" derek frowns as meredith takes the invitation from her.

"that's so rude," meredith hands the invitation back to her. "you okay?"

"about what?" maggie asks.

"ethan," derek and meredith say in unison.

"oh, what? oh, please," maggie scoffs, unconvincingly. "uh... good for ethan. what do i care? i have surgery."

■ ■ ■

"hey," meredith calls, jogging to catch up to lia.

"hey," lia smiles.