iii.

- - -
i had a terrible day. we say it all the time; a fight with a boss, a stomach flu, traffic. that's what we describe as terrible when nothing terrible is happening. these are the things we beg for. a root canal, an i.r.s. audit, coffee spilled on our clothes. when the really terrible things happen, we start begging the god we don't believe in to bring back the little horrors, and take away this.
- - -

fortunately for lia, or perhaps not so fortunately for the patient; their condition worsened meaning that there was no surgery to scrub in on.

this meant that the surgeries she had today wouldn't involve any crossovers, any awkwardness and any uncomfortable conversations.

she was currently clutching the patient files for her next surgery, waiting for an elevator when she heard a voice sound behind her.

"i wasn't planning on liking it here," mark announces as the elevator doors open and everyone exits. lia doesn't turn around until she's in the elevator. "i'm from new york, i'm genetically engineered to dislike everywhere. except manhattan."

once the elevator doors shut again, they were the only two in there. mark was stood in front of lia, with his back to her.

"i'm not going out with you," lia tells him, breaking the silence.

"did i ask you to go out with me?" mark says turning his head slightly, so he can just about see her in his peripheral vision. he was smirking, knowing very well that he hadn't asked her out specifically, but he had asked her to sleep with him again earlier. "do you wanna go out with me?"

"i'm not dating you," the brunette frowns. "and i'm definitely not sleeping with you again. my dad's your boss."

"you're dad's my boss' boss," mark smirks.

"he's not the chief anymore," lia argues, unsure of why she's doing so as this counteracts her own argument.

"richard webber will always be the chief of this hospital," mark explains, turning his head to look at her briefly before facing forward again.

"you're sexually harassing me," she states in an attempt to stop his constant flirting, seeing as though her father being richard webber wasn't enough of a deterrent.

"i'm riding an elevator," mark shrugs.

"look," she sighs, clearly fed up. "i'm drawing a line. the line is drawn. there is a big line."

mark tilts his head with a puzzled expression clearly unsure of where the girl is coming from. whether she was simply disinterested and had made a mistake, or whether she was just afraid of her dad finding out.

"so this line, is it imaginary?" he smirks, turning to face her after a few moments of silence. "or do i need to get you a marker?"

before lia can process what she's doing, she drops her patients files so that they're spread all over the elevator floor. she leans forward to close the gap between them and places her plump lips on his.

mark is hesitant at first due to the fact this is not where he saw the conversation heading. but he soon kisses back, and allows her to use her body to push him against the elevator wall. he then flips them round so that she is the one pressed up against the wall whilst his hand is pressed just above her head, stabilising himself.

he grabs the back of her head in an attempt to further deepen their kiss, but then the elevator dings for the forth time signalling they're on the fifth floor. lia pulls away and begins to pick up her dropped files just as the elevator door opens.

"we'll talk later?" mark says uncertain of whether it's a question or a statement as the brunette rushes out of the elevator.

■ ■ ■

after her first day at seattle grace mercy west lia had changed back into her everyday clothes, collected her bag and was waiting for an elevator, which she felt like she had been doing all day.

"so we're kissing, but not dating," she can feel mark smirking behind her as he approaches the elevator.

"i knew that was going to come up," she shakes her head with a smile, turning so that she's facing mark.

"don't get me wrong; i like the kissing," he informs her with a cocky grin. "i'm all for the kissing. more kissing i say."

"i have no idea what that was about," she admits, more timidly than her usual demeanour.

"is it gonna happen again?" mark cocks his eyebrow at her. "'cause if it is i need to bring breath mints. put a condom in my wallet."

"shut up now," she says causing him to chuckle. lia then pauses momentarily before speaking again. "i'm so taking the stairs this time."

"no self control," he smirks watching her walk away from the elevator and towards the same stairwell he'd pulled her into this morning. "it's sad. really."

- - -
it seems quaint now, doesn't it? the flood in the kitchen, the poison oak, the fight that leaves you shaking with rage.
- - -

"how was your first day, sweetie," adele asked her daughter as she threw her bag on the living room floor.

"i had a terrible day," she shrugs.

"we lost our patient," richard explains to his wife.

"oh, i'm sorry, but it happens sometimes. you can't save everyone," adele says, wrapping her arms round her pride and joy. "you should know this better than anyone."

lia doesn't respond she just lets her mother coddle her, despite the fact she doesn't need protecting from losing patients. mrs. egon passing away was not the reason she had a terrible day. she knows she can't save everyone. she knows not to get attached. so why could she feel herself getting attached to mark?

- - -
would it've helped if we could see what else was coming? would we have known that those were the best moments of our lives?
- - -