cvix.

- - -
surgeons are scientists, trained to believe only in that which we can see and touch. but that training doesn't always take.
- - -

"hey, what are you doing in here?" mark greets lia with a smile when he catches her in the e.r. "i would've thought you'd be diving straight back into your fellowship."

"well, it's my first day back, and i left my baby for the first time since i got home," lia reminds him. "i just wanted to feel the rush of the e.r to help me remember why i love being a surgeon so much because i'm afraid i will walk out of here and never come back, mark."

"you are insane. when you were at home, you couldn't wait to get back," mark chuckles, shaking his head, as a baby begins to cry in the e.r.

"that was before i had to leave her," lia rolls her eyes.

"you'll be fine once you and herman start saving little babies again," mark assures her as the baby's crying grows louder.

"oh, my god. anytime i hear a baby cry, it makes me think of darci. they all sound like her, don't they?" lia sighs. "wait. that really sounds like her."

lia turns around, and mark does the same, to see jackson stood in the e.r, holing darci in a baby carrier that is strapped to his chest. there is a nurse on either side of him, fussing over the baby.

"what?" lia gasps, walking over to him, and mark follows. "what are you doing here?"

"it's bring your daughter to work day," jackson proudly beams.

"no it's not," lia shakes her head as she gently removes one of the straps from jackson's shoulder in order to pick darci up.

"i bathed her, changed her, i fed her, i napped her. we read a book," jackson tells them. "played with that little hanging, jingling thing... and it was still only ten thirty. i needed some adult contact."

"uh-huh," lia nods, not really paying attention to what jackson is saying as she gently rocks darci in her arms. mark is stood behind her slightly, cooing at darci over lia's shoulder. lia then looks up to jackson. "please take this baby away from me."

"sure," jackson says.

"i'm serious. take her, jackson," lia repeats.

"okay," jackson reiterates with emphasis.

"oh, my god. oh, my god," lia pouts in a baby voice, looking down at darci, and stroking her head. "this baby's crack. she's a crack baby."

"you shouldn't call her that," mark advises.

"oh, i love you, but mommy's gotta go to work," lia whines, picking up darci's tiny hand. "take her, jackson."

"give him the baby, lia," mark instructs.

"physically lift her from my arms," lia orders.

"okay," jackson nods, taking darci from lia.

"oh, bye," lia whispers, and darci begins to cry again as jackson picks her up. "oh, no. oh, no, no, no."

"it's not that bad," jackson gently bounces darci up and down. "okay."

"mommy will be right back," lia rubs darci's foot whilst jackson continues to try and soothe her. "mark, drag me away."