cxlvi.

- - -
all diseases have a genetic component. but of course, genes are not always to blame. in diagnosing a disease, physicians must take into account other factors: their environment, their lifestyle...
- - -

lia and mark are watching maggie record a podcast through the window of the executive conference room when richard approaches.

"hey," lia greets.

"hello. more interviews?" richard raises his brow.

"yeah, some medical podcast," mark confirms.

"she's on fire though," lia smiles.

"why do they call it that? 'podcast'," richard asks. "i mean, there's pea pods. there are certain pods in avation. whales swim in pods, but that word has nothing to do with audio recording."

"right. uh, i got a rotation-plasty," mark announces.

"yeah, and i've got an, uh, intrauterine transfusion," lia adds before they both turn and begin to walk away.

"what does that have to do with-" richard calls after them.

"nothing, dad," lia shouts back, and richard shakes his head before walking away himself.

- - -
however, some genetic traits are, annoyingly, unavoidable. thanks, mom. blood is thicker than water. it means the family you're born into is important above all else, right? wrong.
- - -

"we hear you were a bit of a prodigy," the male podcaster, shane,tells maggie. "you finished med school at nineteen. you made chief of cardio at tufts at twenty five. impressive."

"thank you," maggie smiles. "yes. um, i had a very strong family. my parents told me i could be whatever i wanted to be."

"are they surgeons as well?" the female podcaster, carly, asks.

"oh, god, no," maggie laughs.

"then what drew you to the field?" shane presses.

"you know, i can't really remember ever not wanting to be a doctor," maggie admits. "i knew at age twelve that i wanted to be a surgeon. by fourteen, that it was cardio."

"wow. born to be surgeon," carly chuckles.

"yeah, yeah," maggie nods. "it makes you wonder about a genetic component."

"uh, genetic?" carly furrows her brow.

"yeah. well, both my biological parents were surgeons. although ellis and richard were both in general surgery. same with my sister, meredith," maggie explains with a laugh. "so i don't know where the hearts come in. that must be nurture over nature. my twin sister, lia, however, started in cardio so maybe it's got a little to do with genetics."

"i'm- i'm sorry," shane shakes his head. "did you say ellis and meredith?"

"hmm?" maggie raises her brow.

"as in grey? ellis and meredith grey?" carly's brows knit together.

"oh. well, ah- m- my point was that-" maggie stammers.