xcii.

- - -
over the past twenty years, one of the most valuable tools a doctor has is the algorithm. your patient's main complaint goes into a box and then the formula helps you to decide what to do next.
- - -

"welcome back, dr. sloan," everyone cheers as mark and lia enter the conference room, following mark's recovery. the conference room has been decorated with balloons, and there is a continental breakfast being provided on the table.

"thank you," mark chuckles, as he puts an arm around lia's waist to pull her close to him. "it's good to be back."

"we've missed you here, dr. sloan. i'm pleased to welcome you back, and thrilled to see that you've made a full recovery. everyone please enjoy this complimentary breakfast." richard nods and the rest of the room errupts with applause again. "... also welcome back, dr. webber."

"i..." lia begins, but trails off when she notices a familiar face at the back of the crowd of surgeons, wearing the hospital's signature navy scrubs, and not really paying attention. "amy?"

lia then shakes mark's arm off her waist as she walks over to where amelia shepherd is stood. mark follows her and the rest of the doctors begin taking food from the table and having their own conversations.

"amy, what the hell are you doing here?" lia beams, pulling the surgeon in for a hug.

"did derek not tell you?" amelia raises her brow, still smiling when they pull away from the hug. "i, um, work here now. your dad hired me."

"i've missed so much," lia groans. "but it's so good to see you."

"you too. i've missed you," amelia smiles, before turning to mark. "and you, mark. you still look hot."

"and you, uh, look a lot more grown-up than when i last saw you," mark nervously answers, looking between amelia and lia to try to gage his girlfriend's reaction.

"you can say hot, you know?" amelia smirks. "'cause i am. i'm hot."

"i can't. because i have a girlfriend," mark smiles, placing his hand back on the small of lia's back. "and in my mind, you're still derek's twelve year old sister."

"wait- you two? you're like a real couple and not just screwing or something?" amelia raises her brow, gesturing between lia and mark, and mark nods. "congratulations! i guess derek doesn't tell me anything either."

"i guess not," lia laughs.

■ ■ ■

"then i directed the rfa needle to where the blood supply entered the abnormal parabiotic tissue mass," dr. herman tells lia as they are walking through the hospital hallways.

"to interrupt the blood flow the the abnormal fetus," lia finishes for her.

"yes," nicole confirms. "then i removed the excess amniotic fluid."

"nice," lia smiles. "and then she delivered full-term?"

"she did- months after i completed the operation that i'm telling you about," nicole furrows her brow, stopping walking, and turning to look at her. "why are you not taking notes?"

"oh. sorry. i thought we were just, you know, talking," lia chuckles.

"and i thought you were my fellow," dr. herman frowns, and lia's smile fades.