Lost

I hated waking up early but I really needed all the time I could get to get ready to see Luke today. I was used to sleeping in to about 10-11 o’clock but I woke up this morning at a inhumane hour for the school holidays.. 7:30. I dragged myself out of bed and had a quick glance of myself in the mirror, disgusted at my scrunched up hair, flushed cheeks and huge bags under my eyes. I thanked my lucky stars that some amazing person invented makeup. I press the play button on my stereo and my usual playlist starts to play and I step into my shower tiredly and turn on the warm water that usually woke me up instantly but not this morning, it was just too early. I pump my new mango shampoo and rinse whilst I exfoliate my whole body making sure that I would have amazingly soft skin. I rub conditioner through the lengths off my hair and I shave every square inch of my legs not wanting Luke to think that I was part cactus. I stand in the shower still not quite fully awake and finally convince myself to get out. I grab my fluffy towel of the bench and dry myself off then wrap the towel around my hair and place it on my head. I go through my usual morning routine of moisturizing and deodorizing my body then blow drying and straightening my hair. I do my usual make up routine in my tired daze and I start to smile at my eyelash curler remembering how interested and disgusted he was at the strange device. I look at the clock on my stereo seeing that it was already 8:25. I curse and quickly pack up my make up of the counter. I step out of my room butt naked and quickly place on some underwear and chose an outfit that consisted of some simple light coloured denim shorts and my new favorite teal peplum top that I had only bought the other week whilst shopping for dresses with Mia. I readjusted and fixed my gold heart necklace around my neck that my grandmother had passed down to me before she passed a few years ago, it always made me feel safe. I quickly unplug my phone and walk to the kitchen and make a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I sit at the kitchen bench eating my breakfast and open my transport app on my phone to figure out how I was going to get to Luke’s today as my parents had seemed to already left for work. I should have been more organized. I figured that I was going to have to catch the bus to the train station then take a train then take another bus that should take me not far from the Brooks house.  I quickly feed Bear and grab my purse and my sunnies and leave the house as soon as possible as the bus was only 10 minutes away.

I had been on the same bus and train multiple times going to the city but I had never taken the 604 bus that would take me from the train station to Luke’s house before. I felt a bit nervous and scared taking this new bus and kept readjusting my necklace trying to feel safe again. I had never really been in Luke’s suburb, its was so unfamiliar throughout the whole bus trip until I started to see the familiar park that I remember seeing when I was in the car with Beau driving. I pressed the bell and the bus stopped at the next bus stop. I got off and thanked the grumpy bus driver. I start to walk along the path way whilst opening google maps getting directions to Luke’s house from where I was walking. I car toots and an older man wolf whistles out his window, I put my sunnies that were on top of my head and slid them onto my face in disgust. My google maps took longer than usual to load and it started to frustrate me looking at the loading on the screen which continually said no internet connection. Today was just getting better and better. I walked along the pathway going past the park and everything seemed unfamiliar again. I started to worry and started fidding with my necklace, pulling and adjusting it. The chain on my neck somehow made me feel safe. I decided to call Luke. I hear the usual rings, first ring.. second ring.. third and forth until his voice mail came on.

‘You’ve reach me, leave a message if you can or just text me. Have a great day’

The monotone beep finished the voice mail, I hang up not wanting to leave a message. Another man in a car tooted at me, reaching his head fully out of the window to reveal his dreadful mullet, god this place was seedy. I call Luke three more times whist still walking along the path; I don’t know where I am going. I quickly text him, why won’t he answer?