9. Preparation of the Guard

"I can do this now," I say to the demon. I concentrate, taking a part of the demon's mana.

"Oh! You can use a part of my mana without my permission? Hahaha! Freaking amazing. Well, see you later, little girl, if you're not dead of course."

"Blood Maelstrom!" I continue my spell. The kraken is uplifted by the sheer volume of blood.

"Now!" I yell.

Aelita rises her hand, yelling, "Rock Crescent!" Sharp rocks begin falling on the kraken, cutting down its tentacles. Red lightning continue to weaken the kraken.

"John, it's yours now!" Aelita shouts.

"Roger!" John shouts back, "Divine Judgement!"

A blinding and destructive ray of light approaches from above, blasting the creature to small pieces.

I fall to the ground, spitting blood. Using that spell with the demon's mana is a heavy burden to my body.

"Watch out!" Aelita shouts. "Huh?" I ask. A fraction of a second later, an arrow pierces my head.

"Aaarrrggghhh!" I scream in pain. I vomit blood. Black spots begin to form on my hands.

Then it is all dark.

"Wake up, little girl. Wake up! I can't have my host die to some poison."

"Oh, you're awake. Lovely," a boy's voice wakes me up.

"Huh? J-John?" I murmur.

No, that's not John. The boy's brown hair is spiky, and the shade is different. He's also a bit shorter than John.

"I'm Darryl, a healer. Glad to see you awake," the boy says sweetly.

"Is she awake!?" my grandma shouts from outside.

"Yes, c-"

Darryl fails to finish his sentence. My grandma enters–nay, rushes–the room. "O! You're finally awake!"

"I-I ... How long have I been here?" I ask.

"About five days," Darryl answers swiftly, his voice as sweet as ever.

"I see," I say weakly. My body is still numb. I can barely move my legs. "What hit me?"

Madam Fron enters the scene, her face less worried than my grandma. "The foulest of poisons," she showed me an arrow; the arrow that struck and felled me.

"Hydra poison, strengthened and enhanced by dark magic. I was surprised to see you still alive. It can kill anyone below Class V," she says.

"What about John and Aelita? Princess Seira?" I ask worriedly. I can feel my vitality returning rapidly for some reason.

"A little gift from me, little girl," the demon scoffs.

"John and Aelita are fine. Fine enough to hold hands together while walking in a candy shop. Princess Seira got herself crushed by some sort of earth spell-I mean, she was idiotic enough to stay on the battleground-and your attacker left the scene shortly after attacking you," Madam Fron recalls.

"Wait, what, "crushed"? She died?" I ask.

"No, but a few bones did break. Nothing serious; she will recover in a few days. Now, about your personal matters. Vanya?" Madam Fron says.

"Well, as you see, your attacker left a bow behind," my grandma says slowly.

The bow is fine and exquisite. From the design, it looks like it was crafted by Erwingian elves.

"Angelita's bow," I whisper, "but she took it the night she left!"

"Precisely. Angelita's bow..." my grandma grimly says.

"Either she gets captured or even betrayed us or killed." I murmur.

Outside the hospital, there are masses of people. They bring posters of protest. "What the heck is happening out there?" I ask, trying to divert my attention from Angelita's bow.

"A protest. The King went missing after the skirmish," Madam Fron says wearily.

"Huh? The King? How can that happen?" I, aghast, ask.

"Nobody knows. He just went missing with the First Imperial Guard Division. Thus the throne temporarily falls to Princess Seira, who is not that bright," Madam Fron answers.

"Princess Seira opposes the creation of the new army. The Royards and the Isabelles support her. Lucky for us her position is too weak-the Windwoods and the Luxors approve us," Madam Fron says.

A few soldiers are trying to stop the protest from getting uncontrollable. Among them John and Aelita, the Twelfth Imperial Guard Division's white ribbon looking clear.

"The other Guards?" I ask, "How many of us are left, Madam Fron?"

"The First and the Second survive without major injuries. The Third, Forth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Ninth Division were felled and killed. The Eighth and the Tenth just recovered. The Eleventh suffered major injuries and it's doubtful if they can return to service," Madam Fron narrates.

"If so... It looks like they need the numbers," I say. "Blood Wings!"

"Wait!" Madam Fron shouts after gasping, seemingly remembering something. "Call John and Aelita back! I need you ASAP!"

Okay, that's not my initial plan, but perhaps it's an emergency.

I jump and fly out from the window. The masses of people are shouting, "Blast those demons back to their cages!"

"Defend the people!" the people shout.

"Give us liberty or give us death!"

"Vio!" Aelita shouts happily.

"We're needed elsewhere," I say sternly. John and Aelita nod quickly.

We fly back to the hospital. In my room there is another man. "Archduke Luxor. Calm down, we will help you," Madam Fron says.

"How can I calm down!? My only daughter was kidnapped!" Archduke Luxor shouts hysterically. He breaks down crying. The wise, grey haired man is desperate.

Then he notices us. He sprints at me. Clutching my shoulders tightly, he mutters, "Please, bring my daughter back. Please."

"Y-yes. Of course. We will," I say shortly.

Archduke Luxor limps, leaving the room while sobbing.

"So, there you have your first mission. Bring back Dita Luxor," Madam Fron slams a photo on a nearby table.

"Light brown skin, glasses, black hair with a ponytail, got it. When are we starting?" I ask.

"Now, of course!" Madam Fron balks, "We don't know how much time we have before she ends up in some slave market!"

"You're going to board the schooner Juggernaut. It is a very fast ship. Sail to the unnamed islands east of Elaise." Madam Fron instructs.

"He is not," I hear a grumpy voice from outside the room.

A gigantic man enters the room, his face furious. This man is at least seven feet tall, his muscular body and his spiky, blonde hair do intimidate. John gasps, "Uncle!"

The man shouts loudly, "You damn ungrateful child! Now I know why Joe was targeted; you!" He begins to shake the fearful John violently.

And that's a wrong move. I (the protective captain) draw my blood blade and places it on his throat.

Aelita (the more protective girlf-uhm-partner) follows suit, and Madam Fron (the even more protective mentor) raises up her glaive.

"I wouldn't mind adding another to my body count," Madam Fron grumbles furiously.

Mr Anderson grits his teeth, but facing a damn Class V mage and an entire Guard Division, he leaves, grumbling and cursing.

"Fucking idiot. I won't join you for this mission, but I have left rations and intelligence on Juggernaut. Good luck," Madam Fron says, before quietly leaving the hospital.