85. Southern Campaign

"Sir Cadogan?"

"Violleta. High Command has formulated a new plan," Sir Cadogan says. "According to intelligence, 20.000 men of Remilia's army and 10,000 militias are being held prisoner in an enemy depot just five miles east of Mirakarta. High Command needs you to assault the camp and free the prisoners, as well as procure supplies from the camp."

"What? Mirakarta's drowned with blood here!" I bark. "How could I counterattack while it's in such condition?"

If anything happens when I'm out of town, we're screwed!

"Don't worry about Mirakarta," Sir Cadogan says. "We've coordinated nobles from neighboring cities to send aid."

A bloody city just got slaughtered and they want me to attack?

"I have no army."

"You and your sister are sufficient," he says. "There are merely some two thousand left in the camp."

I sigh. "Sorry, but this is war," Sir Cadogan says. "I wish you luck."

Lita pats my back. "It's war, I guess," I say. 

"To the High Command, we're but numbers," Lita says, shrugging. "Such is war. Come on, the faster we attack, the faster we go back to home."

I nod weakly. After dispatching a soldier to relay the message to John and sending a few scouts, Lita and I exit the city to the wild forest outside. We spot an array of tents guarded by a few soldiers. 

"There it is," I say. "Do you have a plan, Lita?"

"Yes. My plan is to get in there and wreck havoc," she says. "I'll go first, back me up!"

"Hey, wait!"

Lita charges with a battle cry that is scary yet ultimately funny because she's the only one shouting. "Armageddon!" she cries, hurling a few explosive spheres of light. 

"AAAHH!"

With the guards taken out and the outer camp devastated, I sweep in. Hundreds of soldiers rush out from their tents, aiming their guns at me (it tickles). "Blood Salvo!" I shriek, raining down arrows of blood. Lita leaps into action, slashing and stabbing the survivors in a vicious melee. 

The remnants of the camp's inhabitants flee the scene, deserting the camp. We break into a disproportionally large tent, enchanted with strong defensive magic that Lita dispels. It is crowded with prisoners, including the White Mask Division, who are held with enchanted chains.

"Look, it's an Imperial Guard!" one of them shouts. They cheer in unison.

"Order, ORDER!" I bark. 

They're all so starved. I need to feed them first.

I dispel the enchanted chains while Lita brings in rations from nearby tents, and, in a surprisingly orderly manner, each soldier hands their ration to the soldier behind them, and so on and so on. Soon, everyone has their meal.

Lita reiterates what happened to Mirakarta while I search the camp for intelligence. They do leave much behind: foodstuffs, weapons, artillery pieces, supplies, and even transport trucks. But there is no information that I could gather. 

When I come back, I am greeted by a screeching crowd. "Bloody hell Lita, what did you do?" I whisper.

"They got pissed at the Empire, duh."

"Order! Order!" I scream, (kind of) calming them down. "This is your order: pick up all military ware that you deem operable and useful, especially transport trucks."

"Understood!" The signature discipline of Irvine's troops takes over as they scatter. In hours, they have dumped tons of supplies to the thousands of trucks. I begin shipping the men and supplies to Mirakarta and by midnight, the camp is deserted.

Mirakarta seems to have come back to life, if only partially. The streets have been cleaned of its rubble. Some of the buildings have been restored. I effectively lead the new army and the city. 

Well, with great power comes great responsibility.

With the headquarters in Mirakarta partially fixed, I report to the High Command in Pazna. 

"HQ, do you hear me?" I ask.

No answer, strangely enough.

"I say again, do you hear me?"

HQ makes contact, but I could only hear the noises of gunfire and artillery fire. "Vio!" Madam Fron shouts. "Not a good time here, you see. We'll talk later!"

The communication is cut off. I sigh. 

Is Pazna overrun?

Wait, then Grandma!

No, no. Calm down, Vio. She's not going down.

"That fast?" Lita murmurs. "Pazna's overran?"

"They're outnumbered one hundred fifty to one, I'm not surprised," I say bitterly. "Now we wait."

Hours pass, accompanied by the noises of nail biting and the whispers of nervousness. At last, another transmission breaks through.

"Are you there, Vio?" Madam Fron addresses me.

"Madam Fron!" I gasp. "Yes, I'm here. How's the situation?"

"Worse than I expected," Madam Fron says. "Pazna is lost. Luckily, the National Army arrived on time to cover our retreat."

"How's Grandma? And Darryl?"

"Both are safe. Listen, Vio, we need a change of plan. In a few minutes I will meet you there. After that, I'll explain the situation in full."

I breathe a sigh of relief.

"So the army is intact, at least," Aelita comments.

"Yeah," I say, even though I am relieved not by that. "How's Remi?"

"Healthy and angry."

Remi enters the room. Her arms are shaking, from pain or fury I don't know. "Where's Dita?" she barks.

"She escaped," I reply.

"I'll kill her," Remi mutters. "I'll kill her!"

"Remi!"

Remi blitzes out of the room. Aelita and John rush out to stop her.

Remi must feel that she has failed Mirakarta and now she wants to repay Dita.

Vengeance ... is truly a potent weapon.

A few seconds later, Madam Fron arrives, carrying Remi by her collar. "Calm down," she says, "revenge is a dish best served cold."

Now Remi breaks down crying. "I've failed." Aelita and John pat her in the back.

"I want to go home. I'm sick. I'm sick of this."

A slap lands squarely on her cheek. "Aw!"

"Your only failure is to ruminate on it," Madam Fron says while withdrawing her slapping hand, "rather than to act on it."

She turns her attention to me. "Vio, get in the aircraft," she orders.

"What? Who will be in charge here?" I ask.

"Remi!" Madam Fron replies. "My aides will tell you of High Command's plan. You will lead this new army."

"I? But ...."

"You did decent, considering the situation. This is your chance for payback, isn't it? Vio, follow me."