1. Demonic Powers

"Good morning, children. Welcome to Blazewing Academy of Magic. I'm Fronica Moonray, your duelling teacher. Now, on to the rules," our teacher begins speaking in the classroom. Students begin to mumble.

Fronica Moonray? So she's the one who signed my letter. She throws me a small smirk while caressing her short, black hair. Her protruding cheek bones and sharp eyes frighten me somewhat.

She begins explaining the rules, the parts of the academy, and the syllabus. My eyes wander around, catching students opening their books and chattering among themselves.

"Yeah, I'm Archduke Isabelle's daughter," a girl boasts.

"While this academy focuses on strengthening your magical prowess, you are prohibited to use battle magic on your schoolmates outside formal duels. You will be escorted to your dorms after this lesson. All your baggages and luggages have been transported there," she finishes talking.

"Any question?" she asks with a somewhat malevolent smile, upon noticing the increasing volume of chattering.

The students neither confirm nor deny; everyone is either talking or staying silent. The teacher's veins pop.

She sweeps her hand. Suddenly, everyone becomes silent.

Our bodies becomes numb and our hands shiver. My eyeballs can barely move. A thin ice layer covers our arms and legs.

As if an instinct, I secretly release my aura, breaking the ice. Madam Fron raises an eyebrow. Many pairs of eyes glance at me.

"No? Then get your lazy asses on the duelling courthouse in five minutes!" she shouts as she releases the spell.

Wait. Isn't the first lesson supposed to be theoretical? The teacher's eyes meet mine for a second, her smile blossoming.

The journey to the courthouse feels tiresome. The other students talk to each other all the time.

While I am alone.

Well, what more can I say?

"Right, kids. The rules are the same with the entrance exam's rules!" Madam Fron shouts after we reach the courthouse.

The courthouse is actually quite decent, but not extravagant. There are several training dummies. Short grass covers the land.

Four pairs have duelled, each duel ending in one or more parties getting injured. Some blood spills on the arena, reddening the grass.

Sweat falls from my forehead, the shaking of my legs uncontrollable. I glance at the audience, hoping that I can just say, "I back off." My heartbeat doubles as a grim thought invades my mind,

"What if I accidently kill somebody?"

"Remi Isabelle," Madam Fron says. A purple haired girl–the same girl who boasted her noble lineage earlier–steps forward, a smug expression on her face. She unties her single ponytail. "Against Violleta Vonville."

Drats. Come on, what kind of bad luck is this? Bah. I'll just surrender quickly.

I step forward to the arena. Remi bows slightly. I follow suit. "Well, then. Begin!"

Remi leaps forward in a flash of lightning, my eyes barely capable of following her slender body's moves. "Ugh!" I murmur as she electrocutes me. I land a strong kick on her jaws, forcing her to release me. Madam Fron watches with great interest.

"Where is your magic!?" Remi mocks, sending lightning bolts after lightning bolts after me, as I struggle to dodge them.

"Lightning Chain!" She shouts, launching several honing lightning from the air.