Chapter 64

It's been a week now since Dr. James arrived, and the merrow Kingdom is back to normal. Kyma had mustered up her courage an hour previously, and it is now time to ask her mother what she needs to. Her mother comes in from the kitchen and looks at Kyma curiously.

"What do you need to ask me that is making you so nervous, Kyma?"

Kyma's face turns even redder than it was before in embarrassment. "It's that obvious?"

Lahira laughs. "Kyma, you're redder than irish moss. Tell me what is bothering you before you explode."

Kyma sighs and blurts it out before she can overthink it. "Can I go north?" Lahira looks stunned by Kyma's statement so she continues, trying to explain why she wants to go. "I would like to visit the northern selkie community, and I also want to see the Old Land."

Lahira frowns. "What brought this on?"

Kyma fiddles with her hands, wringing one with the other. "Well, I was fascinated by them when you told me the stories, and it's just been in the back of my mind ever since."

Lahira leans back in her seat, mulling this over. "Why should I let you go? I just got you back."

Kyma frowns. "I can't tell you why you should let me go, but I can tell you why I feel like I should go."

Lahira raises an eyebrow. "Go on . . ."

"I just feel that this is extremely important, that I am pushed to do this." Kyma debated telling her mother about Ceana's order to go, but she has the feeling that this is something to keep to herself.

"It wouldn't be safe to let you go alone, so I can't-"

Kyma rapidly shakes her head. "I'm not saying that you have to let me go alone! Lyss could go with me," she shoots a quick glance at Lyss, who is sitting beside her. Lyss is smirking at this and nods to Kyma, telling her that she would be okay with going with her. Kyma repeats her statement. "Lyss could go with me. She's the only guard who accompanies me around the island anyways, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to have her accompany me."

A smile blooms across Lahira's face. "Very well. I can't argue with that. You may go, as long as Lyss accompanies you. I have something to give to you first, though."

Kyma's brow furrows in confusion and she starts to ask what her mother means, but Lahira has already stood and exited the room, heading toward her bedroom. She comes back a few moments, holding something in her hands. She approaches Kyma and extends her hands to her, opening them. She is holding a bracelet set and a circlet. Kyma takes them from her gently. The bracelet set is made up of black coral and larimar beads. Kyma slides the bracelets onto each wrist where they settle against the first set, then looks down at the circlet still in her hands. She doesn't understand what this one represents, because she isn't in a relationship, and she hasn't chosen a profession.

"What is this?"

Lahira smiles. "It's your profession token."

"But I haven't chosen a profession yet."

Lahira laughs. "For this one, you don't have to. This token represents your role as my heir. When you do decide to choose your profession, you will have that token in addition to this one."

"Oh. That makes sense."

Kyma looks down at the circlet in her hands and examines it. It is made up of a silvery gold metal twisted around itself, and there is a large larimar bead set into its center, where the band rests against her forehead. The larimar bead is flanked by black pearls and red coral beads. Kyma lifts the circlet up and sets in on her head. It fits snugly, and when she looks up again, her mother appears to be on the verge of tears.

"I was afraid that I would never be able to see this." Kyma steps forward and pulls her mother into a hug.

"I love you."

They stand there like that, frozen in a hug, for a long period of time before Lahira pulls out of the hug and wipes away her tears.

"Wait until tomorrow to leave, alright Seachild?"

"Of course."
________________________________________________________________________________
Well that was a sweet ending to the story, wasn't it? Sorry it's short, that was the natural ending to this story. What do you think the next book in the saga will be about? it will be up tomorrow, of course. So you'll see Kyma again soon, don't be afraid just because this chapter of the saga has ended. Although, she isn't the main character of the next book, I will say that. Who do you think is going to be the main character? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you in A Gifted Pelt, which is now up! Check it out!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.