Chapter 62

The first thing Kyma feels is the lap of water against her skin as she floats, followed by the smoothness of bare skin against her arms. Her eyes flutter open to see the bright blue sky high above, no evidence of the recent storm in sight. A face appears above her, blocking out her view of the blue sky. It's a female face, familiar and full of concern.

"For the sake of the tides! Kyma, you had me so worried. Let's get you out of the water, it won't be doing your side any good."

Kyma's responding words are slow and full of effort. "Lyss? You're okay?"

"I got myself to the healing pool in time. But what happened to you? Where's that man? Kyma, what in the seas happened that was causing your body to float out to sea?" It is then that Lyss notices how pale Kyma is, paler than she should be even as an albino. "Kyma, how long has that wound on your side been bleeding for? You're bleeding out!"

Kyma stops Lyss as best as she can from bombarding her with questions. "Dr. James is dead. Fell through the hill-cliff. Shot me. Had to get to water."

Lyss shakes her head. "Kyma, the water is making you bleed more. Why did you need to get to the water?" At this point, Lyss has sent a pulse through the water to alert the kingdom that it is now safe, and she has carried Kyma past the breakers and into the shallows. "Come on. Shift so that I can get you to the healing pool, then your side can be healed up."

Kyma shakes her head. "I can't shift."

Lyss frowns deeply. "Why can't you shift, Kyma."

"The wound on my side isn't the dangerous one. I was shot in the thigh, that's where I'm bleeding out from."

Understanding dawns across Lyss' face. "That's why you had to get to water, to shift into your tail."

Kyma nods weakly. Lyss shifts into her legs and uses a bubble of water to lift Kyma up into the air. When Kyma looks down at the bubble, she notices how Lyss is attempting to keep her side wound out of the water as much as possible. Despite her efforts, blood continues to slowly trickle out of Kyma's side. Lyss bounds across the surface of the island, acting as if she hadn't been in the process of dying herself just a few hours previously. Once they reach the waterfall cave, Lyss slows, trying not to hit the walls with Kyma's bubble. As they pass it, Kyma tries not to look at the red splotch on the floor that contains Lyss' blood. They reach the edge of the healing pool and Lyss stops, turning to Kyma.

"You're going to have to shift before you get in, can you handle that?"

"I think so."

The bubble lowers to the floor and Kyma shifts while it is still supporting her. The moment Lyss can see that Kyma has shifted and that Kyma is standing, the bubble withdraws. Despite the water having washed away some of the blood coating Kyma's leg, she is still drenched in blood. There is only one reason they can tell where the actual wound is. The fresh blood pouring out of it. Kyma takes a stumbling step, dizzy, and Lyss springs forward to help, despite her astonishment at the severity of the wound.

"Oh Kyma, that is horrible."

Kyma gives Lyss a grim smile as she braces herself to slide into the pool. "I'm well aware of that. I can feel it."

With that, she slides in. The water is thick and warm, and tingles across Kyma's skin. A moment after she slingers the water it starts to glow with a shimmering white light, and Kyma feels the tingling sensation turn white hot around her wounds.

"Lyss, what's happening?!"

"Calm down Kyma, calm down. It's okay, that's the healing process."

Kyma grimaces at the sensation. It has shifted from tingling to a strange, itchy feeling, like strings are being pulled through her skin. The sensation passes in a moment, and the pool's glow fades. Kyma takes that as her cue to exit the pool, and it is confirmed by Lyss beckoning movement. She wades through the chest deep water to the edge and braces her forearms on the side before pushing herself up and out of the pool. Once out, Kyma bends down, twisting to look at the spot on her thigh where the wound was. It has been replaced by a large golden scar the exact shape of the wound. Kyma frowns at the scar coloration. That's not what scars look like on anyone, let alone on her pale skin.

"It's an effect of the healing pool. Golden scars." Lyss frowns. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you from that wound, Kyma."

"There is nothing you could have done to prevent it. It was either go with Dr. James or receive this wound. I chose what to do, and I won't let you punish yourself for saving me. Besides," Kyma's chin tilts up. "It's a badge. A marker of the trials I've gone through and the truth that I survived them."

Lyss is gaping at her in astonishment. "I think that's the most regal thing you've ever said, Kyma."

Once thst thought sinks in, the two dissolve into fits of laughter. The seriousness of the situation has vanished like the dissipating storm clouds now that the danger has passed. Kyma takes a step towards the main cave and almost bursts into a joyful sprint. The pool even restored her from blood loss, so she now feels like she has excess energy compared to how she felt before.

Lyss laughs. "Relax, Kyma. Let's go to the city now, the other merrows should be on their way back."
________________________________________________________________________________
What do you think of this chapter? We're almost at the end of the book!

Happy reading, and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.