Chapter 49

When they reach the beginning of the cliff, the ground beneath their feet changes from grassy earth to smooth black stone. Kyma hesitates in surprise at the change, but quickly continues walking, increasing her speed for a moment to catch up to Alai. When they reach the edge of the cliff, Alai makes a sharp turn towards a boulder next to the river at the point of the cliff. When Alai reaches the boulder, Kyma expects her to step into the river and use her powers to make her way down the cliff face. Instead, Alai steps down when she is under the boulder's shadow and continues to descend as she makes her way around it. By the time she has reached the edge of the cliff on her path, Kyma can't even see her head. Kyma doesn't move, and Lyss murmurs to her.

"That's the land path to the cave."

Kyma frowns in confusion. "Land path?"

"I'll explain more when we are down there, but you have to make your way down first. It's decently safe."

Kyma's eyes widen. "Decently? Why isn't it completely safe?"

Lyss lets out a tiny laugh. "It's only decently safe because you have to be careful where you step. There isn't anything to keep you on the path but your own feet. The path is wide enough though, so don't worry."

Kyma scowls at her and takes a small step towards the boulder before halting. She swallows her apprehension and continues on until she reaches the boulder, where she examines the spot Alai stepped into with curiosity. She carefully placed her foot there, and despite knowing that Alai had stepped down, her body seizes up with terror when her foot falls farther than the distance her eyes could see between one step and the next. Kyma squints at the spot and realizes that the boulder's immense shadow conceals the shadow over the step, causing it to appear as part of the smooth stone floor.

Encouraged slightly by that fact, Kyma takes another step down, hugging the side of the boulder as she makes her way around it, hidden in its shadow. The steps remain in the shadow of the boulder all the way to the edge of the cliff, and even past that. Unless you had known the way down was there, it would be almost impossible for a person to find the path. Once the path reaches the edge of the cliff, it takes a sharp turn and drops, becoming far steeper than it was previously. Kyma picks her way down the path with great caution as she scrambles over boulders and slides down their side to reach the rest of the path.

When the path makes its way under the waterfall to pass to the other side, it grows wider, and is much smoother than the rest of it, likely due to how long the waterfall's spray has been pounding away at it. Once the path is out from beneath the waterfall and dry once more, it returns to its precarious state. After that, the path quickly reaches a point where you can't go forward any farther and Kyma stops, trying to work out how to continue her way down. Lyss stops behind her and makes a sound like she is about to speak but Kyma holds up her hand.

"I want to try and figure this out on my own first."

Kyma feels the air move slightly behind her as Lyss nods. "Alright."

Kyma looks to her right, because the cliff face is on her left, and sees a large boulder there thst reaches up to the path so that you can step into it. Kyma cranes her head over the side of the path to try and see where the boulder goes, and discovers that if you slide down the boulder, you will find the rest of the path hugging the cliff face farther down. Kyma crouches and steps onto the boulder before sliding down. It isn't actually a slide down the boulder, more like she is inching her way down with a shuffle of her bare feet against the warm stone. After a long minute or two of her inching her way down, she reaches the bottom and steps aside for Lyss. Lyss' descent is far faster than Kyma's had been, with her actually sliding down the stone to reach the bottom. She smiles encouragingly at Kyma.

"You figured it out!"

Kyma scowls. "But I took forever to make my way down."

Lyss shakes her head in slight amusement. "You were also unfamiliar with the path so you were exercising more caution. There isn't anything wrong with that, Kyma."

Kyma gives Lyss a grateful nod and continues making her way down the path. When they reach the waterfall this time, instead of a widened path there is a cave behind it, the waterfall cave. Alai is sitting on the dry stone just inside of the cave mouth, seeming to have been waiting patiently for them. She grins teasingly when Kyma comes into view.

"It certainly took you a long time!" Her voice is raised to be heard over the sound of the waterfall.

Kyma scowls at her. "Don't tease me about how long it took me, I've never done this before!"

"I know, Kyma, relax. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings."

Kyma nods and changes the subject just as Lyss steps into the cave. "Why exactly did we have to use that path instead of using our powers? I can use mine reliably now."

Lyss answers the question instead of Alai. "We used the land path because you need to be able to, just in case."

Kyma frowns. "Why would I be coming here in a just in case scenario? Wouldn't it be better to go somewhere else?"

"It would, but this needs to be an option, especially because of how hard it is to get here. If you needed to you could dive into the sea from the cave." Lyss frowns thoughtfully. "Speaking of that, we should go see if you can dive off. If you do dive off now, you can use your powers to bring yourself back up."
________________________________________________________________________________
Guys, you are welcome to draw out that path down the cliff. I know it's confusing, it barely makes sense in my own mind, and it took me a while to puzzle through myself.

What do you think they'll find in the cave? Will she be able to dive off? What do you think!

And on a completely unrelated note, which two would you choose and how would you use them?(who, where, why?) Please tell me! I'm really curious. I will put my own answer in the comments.

Happy reading, and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.