Chapter 14

Their voices begin to grow hoarse before they finally finish talking, everyone having exchanges stories for hours upon hours as they waited for the results from the samples. Lair finally enters the room, a clipboard in his hand. Kyma twists around in her water chair to look at him.

"Do you-" She cuts herself off and coughs, trying to keep her words audible, as her voice is very hoarse. "Do you have the results?"

He doesn't answer her question, but instead asks one of his own. "What were you guys doing in here that made you lose your voice?"

"Talking?"

He looks at her, then at the rest of them, incredulously. "You were talking for six hours straight?!"

"Yes?"

"No wonder you're hoarse! Now, as to your previous question, yes. I do have the results. Would you like to know what they are?"

All the girls, minus Alai, chorus. "Yes!" He laughs at their reaction.

"Of course you do. Let's get to it then." They nod excitedly, and he looks to Kyma first. "I'll start with you, because your results are the easiest and the simplest. Your results show that you are a full merrow. What I suspect happened was that you were born with the merrow gene but that it was switched off, like the gene many of our land-locked merrows are born with. I think the guy who experimented on you just switched on your merrow gene, making you a full-scaled merrow." Kyma smiles, and he turns to the other girls. "I'm sorry, your results weren't as positive. You don't have the same genes as merrows have. It looks like you were given genes that gave you a tail. On a good note, I think you can hold your breath much longer than merrows can, and you won't have the problem with drying out."

Fala looks like she was about to cry. "You mean that we'll have to be in the water forever."

He nods. "Yes, but I promise it isn't as bad as it may appear right now."

Lahira cuts him off from continuing. "I'll take it from here Lair."

"Yes, Queen Lahira."

Kyma's mother turns towards the pool Kyma's friends are in. "Lair is right. The situation isn't as bad as it may appear. I can promise you that you will always have a home and a place in our Kingdom. If you don't wish to stay, you may go to the Eastern Kingdom, or you may leave to swim out your own path in the waters outside the Kingdoms."

Fala looks up and speaks, her voice almost quieter than a soft breeze. "I think I would like to stay."

Nami ponders it for a moment and looks at Kyma before responding. "I think I would like to stay as well. My friends are here, and it's not like I had the best life on land either."

Queen Lahira smiles and stretches her arms out. "Then welcome to our waters."

Fala smiles softly. "Thank you."

They sit in silence for a moment, before Nami pipes up. "What do we do now?"

Kyma's mother smiles. "Well, we can have someone take you on a tour of the Kingdom. Of course, there is a land portion too, but we can have someone carry you in bubbles for that if you wish to see the land portion. Kyma needs the tour as well, so that way you can all take the tour at once."

Nami smiles. "That would be perfect."

"Good. Let's figure out who should take you then."

Alai stands up from her water chair. "I can take them, Queen Lahira."

Kyma's mother looks at her sternly. "Alai . . ."

Alai's voice is pleading. "I can do it Queen Lahira, I promise. I'm fine."

"Alai, if you hurt yourself, what would your parents say?"

Alai frowns and crosses her arms. "They would say that I should have known my limits. But Queen Lahira, I know my limits. Just because I ignored them earlier doesn't mean that I am a fry. I can handle it. If you really want me to, I can have someone else carry them in the water bubbles, and I can promise that I won't use my powers until tomorrow, unless it is an emergency."

Lahira nods. "Very well. You can take them."

ALai jumps up and down excitedly before stopping suddenly. "Thank you, Queen Lahira."

Kyma's mother smiles. "Go on then. Lair, can you help her take the girls to find someone to carry their bubbles through the city?" She turns to Kyma. "I'll see you later. When you are done with the tour, you can find me at the throne room cavern."

Kyma nods. "Okay."

The water beneath Kyma's friends swirls before lifting them into the air in a flattened half-bubble. Alai steps up to Lair's side and beckons to Kyma before they lead her out of the room and down the hallway. As she steps out the door, Kyma turns to wave back at her mother. Alai and Lair lead her out of the medical building, and they almost instantly run into one of the guards. When she sees him, Alai beams.

"Roan!"

________________________________________________________________________________

Who do you guys think Roan is?

Here is another picture of Queen Lahira!

Happy reading, and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.