Chapter 36

When they reach the house, Kyma grabs her bag from her room and starts to step back outside to head over to Alai's home, but she is stopped by her mother. Once satisfied that Kyma won't leave quite yet, Lahira darts into her room for a moment before reappearing at the door, holding something in her hand. Kyma looks at her quizzically, and Lahira elaborates.

"You have read the letters, or at least the first couple of them. I said in the second letter that I had something for you, and I'm going to give it to you now."

Lahira extends her hand towards Kyma and opens her hand to reveal two bracelets sitting in her palm. Instead of one object sitting in her palm, there are two. Both objects are red and black bracelets. Kyma doesn't move to take them, so her mother motions for her to cup her palms together, and slides the bracelets into Kyma's hands once she does so. Kyma continues examining them carefully, running her fingers over the oddly textured beads. Lahira laughs slightly, and explains what the bracelets are made of.

"The beads are red and black coral. These bracelets are given to all merrow children when they reach the age where they begin to use the tail. Of course, most bracelets use less coral. There is another set that is received once the merrow comes of age, and you technically have, but I want you to be accustomed to our world first. I know you aren't used to our customs yet, but I hope you like them."

Kyma beams broadly at her mother, amusement shining in her eyes. "I love them!"

Lahira smiles back, but Kyma sees the bit of hesitation and nervousness still lingering in her eyes. She knows that her mother is worried that Kyma will disappear from her life again, and it saddens her that the fear won't fade. It will take time for it to disappear from her eyes and mind. So Kyma leans forward to kiss her mother on the cheek and darts off towards Alai's house, sliding the bracelets onto each wrist as she does so.

Her bag bumps against her side lightly as she runs, and Kyma is confused at the lightness of the weight for a moment before remembering that the pouch doesn't reflect the weight of its contents, and the pouch is currently carrying everything in her bag. She slows as she reaches Alai's house, and looks around curiously for Alai. Lyss appears behind Kyma, and grins at her surprise, and then her slight pout at still being guarded.

"Give it up, Princess." Kyma glares at Lyss when she calls her Princess, and Lyss laughs before continuing. "You aren't going to lose your guard, which will still be me. Now I presume you are looking for Alai?"

Kyma nods. "Yes."

They walk around the house, trying to find any sign of Alai's presence. Kyma rounds the corner of the house first, and stops in her tracks in shock. Alai is against the side of the house, with Lair, and they are kissing. Kyma gapes at them, her mouth gaping open. Lyss comes up behind her, curious.

"What do you see, Kyma? Is something wron- Oh. Yeah, they are together. You didn't know?"

Kyma shakes her head. "I didn't know. I don't know why I am so surprised though. She could recognize his magic patterns when his water was used. I'm going to guess that recognizing someone's magic isn't easy."

Lyss grins slightly. "It's not. Let's give them a bit of privacy and then continue our conversation." Kyma nods and follows Lyss back to the front of the house to wait. Once they are both sitting on the stone steps, Lyss continues her explanation. "You can only generally recognize someone's magic when you are really close. For instance, Family, extremely close friends, relationships."
Kyma nods. "I guessed as much."

A strand of her hair falls into her eyes and she pushes it away with her hand, the bracelet around her wrist easily standing out against her silvery hair.

Lyss' smile grows wider. "I see you have received your first set."

"How many sets are there? I know of two."

Lyss frowns in thought. "There is that set, which you normally get around six. Then there is the set when you come of age. We have another for your profession, but it isn't always a bracelet. Then there is also a sort of head adornment when you are in a committed relationship, like marriage, not just partners."

Kyma nods thoughtfully. "Which one did you get for your profession?"

Lyss smiles and holds out her spear towards Kyma. Tied around the base of the spearhead is a small collection of charms. There is a tiny larimar bead accompanied by a silver pearl and a black coral bead shaped into a crown. Kyma leans closer to examine the crown bead.

"Do all of the guards have these?"

"No. We all have the pearl and larimar bead, but the coral bead is shaped for your guard subset. Crownguards clearly have the crown, Surfaceguards have a tree, Cove guards have a starfish, Seaguards have a fish, and Borderguards have a bead shaped into a miniature spear."

Lyss has barely finished speaking when Alai rounds the corner. She stops in surprise when she sees the pair sitting there.

"Oh! I'm sorry, did I make you guys wait?"

Lyss shakes her head. "No. I was just explaining the bracelets to Kyma while we were letting you finish your time with Lair."

Her voice turns teasing at the end, and Alai blushes as she realizes that she was seen. Alai shakes it off and the blush fades back into her cheeks as she sits on the steps beside Kyma.

"What brought on the conversation about the bracelets?"

Kyma holds up her wrist to reveal the black and red bracelet. Beside her, Alai holds out her own wrist to reveal her own bracelets. One set is red coral and black pearls, with a few bits of black coral. The other is made of blue and silver pearls, with a few black pearls. She lowers her wrist and stands up, holding her hand out to Kyma.

"Are you ready to go explore the island?"

Kyma takes Alai's hand and pulls herself up, nodding as she does so. "Of course I am."
________________________________________________________________________________
Who expected Alai and Lair to be together? Also, I hadn't realized that their names were so similar until later, so that wasn't meant to be the giveaway. What did you think of the bracelets/tokens? Tell me your thoughts! Happy reading, and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.