Chapter 56

Kyma pants as she sidesteps to avoid one of Lyss' strikes with her makeshift dagger. She wooden stick whistles through the air just past her side and Kyma lashes out at Lyss with her sheathed dagger. It almost hits her side only to be blocked by the stick. Kyma's free hand darts out in front of her to block Lyss' punch. She pulls her dagger back and darts to the side before switching the dagger to her left hand. Lyss is momentarily shocked by this and it gives Kyma the time she needs to whack Lyss in the stomach with the dagger. Lyss tried to deflect the blow, but Kyma's head start prevented it. Lyss lets out a panting breath of her own and steps back, lowering her stick to her side.

"Good, very good. Since when have you been able to use both hands?"

Kyma shrugs. "I always have. I never preferred one hand over the other."

Lyss nods and a smile breaks out over her face. "That trick was well played. Switching from one hand to the other. That's a good tactic to help you win a fight. I have a question though."

Kyma nods. "What is it?"

"Why did you choose to primarily fight with your right handle over your left?"

Kyma's brows furrow as she thinks about her answer. "Well, people are more used to right handed people. So if I start with my left hand, the switch isn't quite as jarring because it's easier to adapt. If I switch from right to left, they are jarred by the switch and they have to figure out how to adapt to me being left handed now."

Lyss' eyes light up. "I've never thought of that. That's a really good response, Kyma."

Kyma grins. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now, I know you can definitely take care of yourself in one on one combat, so let's test you on your ranged combat."

In a flash, Kyma to the gray pouch where she had placed it on the rock. In the short break between their practice bouts, Lyss had fashioned a strap for her so that Kyma could put it around her waist. Kyma grabs each part of the cord and ties the free end to the end with a tautline hitch knot using a figure eight knot. She tugs on the cord to make sure it's secure then turns towards Lyss.

"Ready."

Lyss pulls some of the water away from the waterfall and makes a small shield like shape out of water that hovers in the air before Kyma. Quick as the flash of a fish's silver scales, Kyma's hand is at the opening of the pouch and she summons a dagger to her hand. With a flick of her wrist she sends it shooting towards the disc of water. It passes straight through the center. Kyma is already turning for the next disk and sends a dagger towards it, not even glancing over her shoulder to see if it hits before she turns and sends the next dagger through the air. She only needs to send a few more whizzing into the disks before Lyss stops her.

"Kyma, enough. I don't need any more proof. You can handle yourself with this."

Lyss steps over to the waterfall and peers around it at the stormy sky. The rain has taken a break a few hours before, but it's back in full force now. In fact, it almost seems to be raining harder than before. Is that even possible?

"Night is approaching."

Kyma's eyes widen. "Are you saying we've been training the whole day?"

Lyss laughs. "Yes, we have been. I tried to get you to stop for lunch but you were too intent on finishing."

Now that Kyma is no longer distracted by her intent on training, her stomach makes its displeasure clear with a loud rumble. She smiles sheepishly and unties the figure eight knot, placing the pouch into her bag. Kyma steps into the waterfall, allowing it to carry her down into the sea. She moves out of its torrent of water and waits for Lyss to come shooting down. Lyss shoots her a quick glance before signing to Kyma and darting up to the surface.

"Stay here." She returns to Kyma only a moment later.

Kyma frowns. "What were you looking for?"

"I was checking the storm. Based on this rain, the storm will be gone within the hour."

Kyma's eyes widen in surprise. "How do you know?"

"This heavy rain is always the storm's last." Then Lyss frowns.

"What is it?"

"At this time of year, the storms normally last for more than a day. It's strange."

"I'm sure everything's fine. No one can control the storm. Just be grateful that it ended early."

Lyss sighs and gives Kyma a nod. "Come, let's get back to your mother and tell her the good news."

Kyma grins and motions for Lyss to take the lead. She does so gratefully and they head to the throne room. Lahira is standing in the center of the room, talking to one of the merrow families. Kyma and Lyss wait patiently for her to finish. Lahira notices them at once and finishes her conversation before walking over to them.

"What is it?"

Lyss bows to her. "My Queen, the storm is passing soon. We are in the final rain."

"The tides are grateful for your report. What did you two do today?"
________________________________________________________________________________
How do you think Lahira will react to learning what they did? Also, if you think I chose the wrong knots, please tell me. I did my research, but I'm not an expert and I could have chosen wrong. What do you guys think will happen next?

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.