Chapter 61

She starts to weave around the spots in the hill-cliff where the ground beneath is hollow, moving slowly as she limps along. If her clothing was pinned together into pants, there would be a massive red stain around her thigh. But since her clothes are ruined and streaming behind her, the hot blood just runs down her legs, weakening her with every step as more blood pours out of the wound. She has to stop and tear off one of the cloth strips, tying it around the wound as a bandage as tightly as she can. Kyma knows that her wound probably needs a tourniquet based on how much she is bleeding, but she doesn't know how to tie one. Besides, she needs to be able to move.

Kyma continues to limp up the hill, but her speed continues to slow as blood pours out of her wound, staining the makeshift bandage dark red. There is a flicker of movement from the top of the hill-cliff and Kyma raises her head, slowed by her blood loss. It is Dr. James once again, and he is holding his gun. Kyma reaches her hands back to grab one of her throwing daggers, but her fingers feel thick and unwieldy. She fumbles for the dagger, and grabs hold of it. She brings it forward and prepares to send it flying towards Dr. James, but her slowed movements cost her. She doesn't hear the bang, and only knows that Dr. James shot at her because of the bullet that pierces her side, just above her waist. She stumbles back at the pain and her weakened leg collapses beneath her.

Dr. James begins to make his way down the hill-cliff, triumphant. But Kyma knows the pitfalls and dangers of the cliff. She crawls across the grassy ground, trying to get one of the hollow spots between herself and Dr. James. Somehow, he makes his way down the hill towards her without stepping into any of the spots, despite the fact that he is walking straight. But as she crawls around the spot, he has to angle his path toward her. Therein lies his mistake. His new path is leading him straight towards a spot, the one Kyma crawled around. He stops just outside the border of the spot, and Kyma curses to herself. He couldn't have made one more step? How does he know?

"You can't get away now, little miss Kyma. You can't walk, and you can't use your weapons. So instead of just trying to crawl away from me, as it will do you no good, just let me retrieve you a moment sooner. Then I won't give you a shock for escaping me."

Kyma shakes her head frantically and tries to crawl away once again, tears pouring down her cheeks. He sighs in mock dismay and steps forward. Right into the hollow spot. The spot doesn't move, and Kyma tries to swallow her panic. Dr. James takes his weight off of his back foot to step forward again, putting all his weight into the hollow spot. He falls as the ground bucks beneath him and tries to stand, determined to get to Kyma. He manages to get to his feet and takes another step towards Kyma. She sucks in a breath, almost paralyzed by her fear and pain.

The ground beneath him opens up and he falls, bellowing in shock, fear, and anger. Kyma doesn't hear him hit the bottom of wherever he is falling to, but she does hear his screams rise one last time before cutting to a stop. Kyma sags in relief, before twisting around. She needs to get herself back to the water before she bleeds out. Her leg wound is far worse than the one on her side, that's the one threatening her life. If she can make it to the water and shift, the bleeding will stop, even if the wound on her side won't stop bleeding. It's too high up on her torso to be affected by the shift. She doesn't remember making her way down to the bottom of the hill-cliff, only that she has to get to the water. She's driven by her instincts now.

The only reason she is still conscious is because her body knows that she must get to the water. Instincts and adrenaline are keeping her going. But what happens when they fade away? Kyma is crawling across the rocky beach, feeling her palms slide along the smooth wet stone. Wet stone? She's close! She looks ahead to see brightness. She knows what this means. She's gone into shock. It won't be long before the blood loss kills her. But she can make it to the water. She has to. It's only a few meters ahead now. Kyma almost sags in relief when her fingertips hit the water, but she has to get farther than that. She has to be past the breaking waves or she'll be left stranded on dry land when she shifts.

A wave curls over her and envelops her body, carrying her farther out to sea, deep enough for her to finally shift. The salt water stings against her wounds, and Kyma's good leg twitches slightly, reminding her that she still has to shift. Her work isn't done yet. Kyma uses the last of her energy to shift, and her legs meld together so slowly, the slowest they ever have. Her scales pop up through her skin next, followed by her unfurling fins. Her battered body sags in relief when the transformation is complete, finally able to rest. Kyma lets her mind fade into blackness at last as the blood loss and shock pulls her into unconsciousness as steadily as the waves ebb and flow.
________________________________________________________________________________
Oh no! What do you think will happen to Kyma now? Will she be ok? Will she not be ok? What do you think will happen next? Who's glad that Dr. James is finally dead? I know I am. I hope you are satisfied with his death, too. Tell me your thoughts, I love to hear them!

Happy reading, and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.