Chapter 52

She opens her eyes to see Lyss and Alai still standing in the same spots as before and she frowns, confused. "Guys? How long was I gone?"

Lyss shakes her head and laughs. "For us, not at all. For you, only the tides can say. What did you think of the memories, Kyma?"

Kyma frowns thoughtfully. "They were interesting, but . . ."

"But what?"

Kyma shakes her head, deciding to not bring up her conversation with Ceana. "I just didn't expect to be placed inside the memories."

Alai laughs. "It was cool though, wasn't it?"

Kyma nods. "It really was."

She glances down at her hand, remembering the pain that caused her to withdraw from the memories. Her hand looks normal, and she can't figure out what caused the pain. She shifts slightly, and the light from the algae lanterns hits the pearly spot, causing it to gleam brightly. She squints at it, confused. The spot is brighter than it normally is, and she can't figure out why. She is trying to puzzle through that conundrum when Lyss speaks, breaking her concentration.

"Kyma? Are you okay?"

Kyma's head snaps up and she smiles at Lyss. "Yes, I'm fine. I was just thinking."

Lyss nods. "About the memories?"

"Yes."

Alai pops out of the small chamber and into the larger portion of the waterfall cave. She re-enters the chamber only a few moments later, her expression tense. "Guys, we have to go."

Lyss frowns. "Is it getting dark? We should have enough time to get back."

Alai shakes her head. "Normally we would, but one of the storms is approaching. We need to get back to the city so that Queen Lahira knows her daughter is safe, and then we have to get to the underwater city."

Lyss curses. "For the sake of the tides! Not now!"

Alai gives Lyss a tense, grim smile. "Yes, now. If we leave right now, we might be able to make it back in time."

Lyss sighs. "Come on then." Kyma hesitates, confused by their worried expressions, and Lyss reaches out to grab her arm. "Kyma, we have to go. No one wants to be caught in these storms, no one."

Kyma gives her a sharp nod and follows her through the tunnel to the main cave. They didn't even pause to cover the algae lanterns, just rushed out of there as quickly as possible.The moment they step inside the main cave, the noise escalates from the crashing of the waterfall to gales and a tossing sea. For a moment, Kyma hears the rumble of distant thunder. Alai rushes over to the waterfall and steps into it, using her powers to carry her up the waterfall and onto the top of the cliff. Kyma frowns and voices a question to Lyss, her voice raised over the immense sounds forcing their way into the cave.

"Why aren't we going up the way we came?"

Lyss' reply is rushed as she tries to hurry Kyma along. "The storm will make that path too dangerous to traverse, and we also don't have enough time to take that path. Now go!"

Lyss motions for Kyma to follow Alai up the waterfall and she finally does so. Under different circumstances, Kyma would be amazed at the feeling of shooting up the waterfall and the waterfall running over her, but she is too distracted to really notice it. She has barely emerged from the waterfall when Lyss pops up behind her and starts off at a run, her feet pounding against the stone as she drags Kyma along with her.

Alai is behind them, both nimble and cautious as she runs. It starts to rain when they are almost halfway to the city, and it is pouring by the time they make it all the way. Lyss keeps them running all the way to Kyma's house. One of the Crownguards in front of the house almost seems to sag in relief as they come into view. He shouts over the rain and wind.

"Thank the tides that you've arrived! The Queen was getting far too anxious!" His attention moves to Kyma. "She's waiting inside for you. Be quick, we need to get underwater soon." He looks up at the sky briefly. "Be back out within five minutes."

Kyma nods sharply and darts through the doorway. Her mother is standing in the living room and is facing away from the door, her knuckles white as she clasps the stone seat in front of her. She couldn't have heard that Kyma and her friends had returned, so she must still be worried.

"Mom?"

Lahira turns in a flash and swiftly folds Kyma into her arms. Kyma cranes her head up to look at her and sees tears pouring down her cheeks. "I was so worried."

Kyma nods against her mother's chest. "I know, but I'm okay. The guards say we need to go soon though."

Lahira inhales shakily and regains her composure, straightening as she releases Kyma. "Can you help me go through the house one last time to make sure it's prepped for the storm? Blankets and personal belongings should go in the chest, make sure the curtains are rolled up to protect them from the wind."

Kyma nods and they split ways, Kyma going to the bedrooms while her mother goes to the kitchen. Kyma checks each room and goes to hers last. Everything is in the chest, and Kyma paused for a moment, debating on if she should take the journal with her to read. One glance at her bag and she grabs the journal, carefully stowing it in her bag beside the abalone shell. She returns to the living room at the same time Lahira does, just in time to hear the guard shout over the rain.

"Queen Lahira, Princess Kyma! We have to go now! The storm is getting too strong! If we want to make it, we have to go!"
________________________________________________________________________________
Well, I wasn't expecting to write a storm into this. Maybe it's reflecting what is going on all over the world right now.(looking at you, SARS-COV-2) My school district just closed as I was writing this(March 13. What a thing to happen on Friday the 13th) But I'll have more time to write the story, so there's that. I hope you guys stay healthy! Ok, wow. I went off topic. Back to the book.

Do you think they'll make it to safety? Why was Kyma's pearl spot brighter than normal? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter! Stay healthy, guys!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.