Chapter 12

"They didn't receive their tails naturally. For Kyma, since she is exhibiting similar traits to all merrows, I want to see if her kidnapper just turned her into a merrow or something else. For the other girls, I want to know how similar they are to merrows and what he did to them."

Lair nods. "Got it." He opens a drawer and pulls out several identical devices before he beckons to Kyma. "Can I see your arm?"

Kyma holds out her arm, confused by what he is doing and how they will figure out that information. He grabs one of the devices and draws it closer to her arm. Just before he presses it against her arm, she finally realizes that it is a collection needle. He jabs her arm with it, and within a few moments, its collection vial is full of blood. She hisses in pain as he pulls the vial away, and he mumbles an apology.

"Sorry, Kyma. It had to be done." He moves away from her and approaches Queen Lahira. "My Queen, I need a sample from a merrow-"

She holds out her arm before he can finish, and he hesitates before taking a blood sample from her with the second collection needle. After collecting it, he turns to Nami and Fala.

"I need a sample from one of you. You can choose which one of you it is from."

Nami holds out her arm. "Take it from me. Fala isn't comfortable with blood."

He takes the sample before walking out of the room with all three of them. A few minutes later, he comes back without the samples but with another person. The woman has silver hair and pale skin just like Kyma, and she grins when she sees Kyma's mother.

"Lahira darling! You never come to visit! I know you're busy as Queen, but come visit your auntie every once in a while."

Kyma's mother laughs. "Hello Aunt Telulah. I promise to visit more."

Telulah peers over Lahira's shoulder, her green eyes staring into Kyma's deep blue ones. "And who is this, Lahira?"

"This is my daughter Kyma, Aunt Telulah."

Telulah gasps. "Is she from Jonathan!? Where has she been all this time?" She rushes over to Kyma, her dress sweeping around her feet. "Hello seachild! Let me look at you." She pushes away from Kyma and just stares at her for several seconds. "You're gorgeous, seachild. You'd likely look just like your mother if you weren't albino. But you get that from me."

Telulah would have continued chattering if Lair hadn't coughed from the doorway. She turns to look at him, her gaze sharp as she snaps at him. "What? I can't take a look at my new great-niece?"

"Tidehealer Talulah, we have a job to do first."

Talulah sighs. "Yes, yes, what do you need me to do."

"I have some blood samples being analyzed, but if you scan them with your healing magic, you may be able to discern some things."

She snorts. "I need more information than just 'them', Lair."

Lair sighs, exasperated. "Kyma, and the two girls in the pool, Tidehealer."

"What am I scanning them for?"

"Differences from normal merrows."

She walks over to Kyma and places her hand on Kyma's brow, and water from the pool rushes over and envelops Kyma in a thin layer of water. A few moments later, the water retreats, and hovers beside Talulah in a small orb. Talulah steps over to the pool with Kyma's friends, the water envelops them as well before retreating. Talulah turns to Kyma first.

"The scan doesn't indicate anything wrong with you, why was I looking?"

Kyma sighs. "I was kidnapped and experimented on, as were my friends. We didn't have tails before, and now we do."

Talulah leans forward and hugs Kyma before cupping her cheek. "Oh, seachild. You're safe here though."

Kyma gives her a weak smile, before Talulah turns to the other girls. "You're scans indicate that you won't be able to shift. I'm sorry." They nod, dejected at that depressing news. Before they can dwell on it too much, Talulah continues. "Don't get too glum yet girls, we will find out more when the samples from your samples are back."

They nod, looking slightly happier at that. Kyma's mother looks at Lair, who is still standing in the doorway.

"How long will it be until the sample results come back?"

His response is quick, indicating that he was prepared for the question. "A few hours. I would say that you could go back to the waiting room if you wish, but since those two," he looks at Nami and Fala, "can't leave, you should probably stay here. I can have someone go get you some refreshments if you would like."

Lahira smiles at Lair. "Thank you."

He nods and exits the room. Talulah beams broadly at Kyma and her mother. "Finally! Social time with my niece!" She looks over at Kyma. "And my new great-niece, too."

Lair pops back into the room. "Tidehealer Talulah, you can't stay in here. You still have work to do. In fact, I have several people that need your help."

Talulah groans, but is still smiling softly. "All right, all right, Lair. I'm coming." She waves at her relatives before exiting the room.

________________________________________________________________________________
I love Talulah! She's even bubblier then Iyokú, and that's saying something. Also, if you just got confused, Iyokú is from Stars of Memory. What did you guys think of Talulah? Did you like her, hate her, or are you somewhere in between? What do you guys think is going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Here is a picture of Queen Lahira and some sea nymph children!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.