Chapter 54

When she wakes up, her mother is no longer in the room. Kyma grabs her bag and slides into the water, swimming down into the living room. The room is lit by the algae lanterns from the kitchen, so Kyma quickly uncovers the ones inside the room, letting the light seep out into the room. Once she has uncovered all the lanterns, Kyma pokes her head into the kitchen. There is a plate of food sitting on the stone counter, with a note written beside it.

Kyma takes the plate up to the sleeping chamber and eats quickly before returning the plate to the kitchen

Kyma takes the plate up to the sleeping chamber and eats quickly before returning the plate to the kitchen. She darts back up into the sleeping chamber to quickly grab her bag before leaving the house. She pushes the green curtain aside as she swims through the door. There are three guards standing outside, and Kyma is confused to find that none of them are Lyss. She frowns and signs to one of them.

"Where did she go?"

"She needed to take a breath. Your guard will be back within a flick of your fins, don't worry Princess."

Kyma holds in her scowl at being called Princess again. You would think that after two months of living here that everyone, or at least the guards, would have realized that she didn't like that term, but no. The guards still call her Princess. She looks up to the air pocket high above and sees Lyss' indigo tail, or at least what she assumes to be Lyss' because she really just sees a small indigo spot high above. It moves and starts to come toward them, and Kyma sees Lyss' features come into view as she approaches. Lyss stops just before Kyma and signs.

"How long were you waiting?"

"Not long at all. You're fine."

Lyss nods, reassured. "What do you want to do today? Alai has to go scouting, so she can't join us."

Kyma nods and mills over her options before deciding on one. "I know what I want to do, but we should probably check the weather first."

Lyss' brow furrows in confusion and concern at Kyma's words, but she nods. "Very well. Let's go."

The two swim out of the living portion of the city and then exit through the tunnel by the rest of the city before finally emerging into the outside waters. The sea is no lighter outside the cavern than inside of it, so both girls activate their light scales. It's the first time it's actually been dark enough for Kyma to have to do this, which might have been why she didn't know about them before. She had never had to do it in the city caverns because they are always lit by the bioluminescent algae. The darkness of the sea gives Kyma the impression that the storm is still full force, because she knows that it is not nighttime, so there could be no other reason for the seas to be so dark. Lyss leads Kyma up to the surface and pops her own head out of the water.

As Kyma breaks through herself, she catches the beginning of a sign from Lyss but it is too late to see the full word. She's already at the surface. The sky is the darkest gray Kyma has ever seen, and the strong winds are creating massive swells in the water. Kyma turns slightly in the water to see one approaching her, and her eyes widen in shock. This wave looks big enough to capsize a ship, and it won't be carrying her over it. This wave is going to come down right on top of her. Kyma is so frozen in shock that she doesn't notice Lyss pop beneath the water until there is a yank on her tail and Kyma slips beneath the surface.

They are a meter beneath the surface when the swell finally collided with the water above them, and Kyma sees the myriad of bubbles that explode out of the contact. The water swirls around the two girls, threatening to send them tumbling over their own tails. If Kyma has been on the surface, there is a high chance that she could have died from the impact or from the water forcing its way into her lungs while she is stunned. Lyss frowns and pulls Kyma farther down before signing.

"I'm going to make a guess that your plans have changed?"

Kyma smiles grimly. "That depends. Is there a way to get safely up to the waterfall cave?"

Lyss' eyes widen in shock. "You just saw the sea! How could it be any better on land?"

Kyma shakes her head. "You didn't answer my question. Could we safely go up the waterfall?"

Lyss frowns. "Yes, if we are very, very careful. But why do you want to go up there? Can't it wait?"

Kyma shakes her head. "It can't wait. I want to train. I know he is coming, I want to be able to protect myself."

Lyss picks up on what Kyma isn't saying. "You want to practice with the dangerous thing, don't you?" Even with no one in sight or within listening distance, Lyss is clearly uncomfortable with speaking about the dagger.

"Yes, that is what I want to do. Can we get up there?"

Lyss lets a stream of bubbles escape her mouth as she sighs. "Yes. Come on. Please be careful."

"I promise I will."
________________________________________________________________________________
Hmm. Kyma seems quite intent on this, doesn't she? Do you think it's safe enough in this storm to go to the waterfall cave? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading, and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.