-6-

Tessa Clash
1:42 P.M.
The next day...

I sat on the swings with best friend Valentina. I was playing on my new phone when I felt her staring at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Where'd you get that?" She asked referring to my phone.

"Kaden bought it for me," I smiled.

"Who is Kaden?" She asked furrowing her eyebrows.

"Amara's brother in law, Bri's dad... come on Val, keep up," I replied.

"So your mentors brother in law bought you an a thousand dollar phone and you see nothing wrong with that?" She asked.

"No... why would I see something wrong with it?" I asked confused. "Anyways, he got me those AirPod things and some shoes. I don't want to wear them yet cause I don't want to get them dirty," I said as she looked at me like I was crazy.

"Why is he buying you all this stuff? That's not suspect to you?" She asked.

"No... just because someone wants to be nice to you doesn't always mean there's a catch or that they want something in return. And before you say anything like that he's happily married and he also got stuff for Andre too, not just me," I said.

"Tessa, you need to stop accepting gifts from these people. I don't care how nice you think they are, you don't know their true intentions-"

"You never know someone's true intentions, Val. You can't read fuckin' minds. I'm not gonna make Andre walk around in beat up converses because I can't read their mind and know exactly what their intentions are," I said.

"Whatever, you don't want to listen to me fine," she said looking away from me. "You've gotta be kidding me," Val said as Genesis and her posey approached us.

Genesis and her crew were known as the girls who were more on the wealthy side of things. Even though our neighborhood wasn't anything like Amara's they still had the nicest houses on the block. They always had the latest shoes, clothes, hairstyles. And Val and I were always a target since we never had anything new. Well that is until now.

"Move," Genesis said to Val.

"How about a no," Val said looking up at her.

"You're either gonna move or I'm gonna move you," Genesis said.

"I guess you just gon' have to move me then," Val said as I put my phone in my leggings where I knew it was safe and my hair back into a low bun.

"Why you pullin' ya hair back, darkie?" One of Genesis minions asked me.

"Cause I can," I replied.

"I said get up," Genesis barked at Val.

"And I said I'm not gettin' up!" Val yelled before Genesis pulled her hair before slinging Val to the ground.

I popped Genesis in the eye before her posey came and tried to hold me back. They all surrounded me in a circle and held onto me before I started swinging making sure to hit all of them at least once.

I felt them hitting me in the back of my head before I felt somebody hit my cheek. I started kicking and punching until one of them grabbed my leg and drug me to the floor. There were four of them, I didn't really stand a chance but I still tried.

They got on top of me. One held my down while another pulled on my hair. I guarded my face with my arms. The same girl who was pulling my hair was trying to punch me in the face but couldn't. The girl holding me down was sitting on top of me while trying to punch me but couldn't.