Episode 38: Go for a Drive

Start from the beginning

"Did you miss me?" She was wearing a flowing white dress.

If I hadn't been on the floor already, I probably would've fallen. "Noelle!"

She shut the door behind her. I couldn't see her eyes from my vantage point. "Oh, Tia..."

I sat up and teared up. "How is she?"

"She's weak. She needs rest." Noelle brushed T's hair out of her face. "Her life isn't in danger right now though."

Eni bolted up. He was looking past everything. His body was rigid. When he touched T, his eyes went back to normal. He had tears in his eyes. "Ellie..."

"Both of you, come here."

My body got up without me deciding to. I sat on the edge of my bed.

Noelle put her arms around us. "It's alright if you want to cry. I don't blame you for being scared. Tia will wake up when she's ready. I promise."

"Is there anything we can do?" I asked.

Noelle put her hand on T's forehead. It gave off a golden glow. "I can give her some energy, but she'll still need more rest before she can wake up."

T needed energy. Sure, Noelle just gave her some. Was there a way I could give her more?

"Are you cold?" she asked Eni.

"Not with the blankets."

She smiled. "Why don't you go change your shirt?"

"I'm okay."

"Why don't you go change your shirt?"

Eni sighed before he got up to change his shirt. It looked alright for it being mid-September, but I hadn't realized he was cold. The others could've had the air on too high.

"I'll be right back," Noelle said.

Eni came back with a thicker shirt. "Where did Ellie go?" He looked at the sleeping bag. "Ain? Did you sleep on the floor?"

"Dunno. She said she'd be right back." I smiled. "I wanted you to have the bed."

"You didn't sleep very good, did you?"

I looked at our sleeping sister. "I knew I wasn't going to. That's part of why I gave you the bed. Didn't it feel good to have T next to you?"

"You didn't want that?"

"She is your big sister."

Eni looked at me sideways. That was a terrible response.

Noelle came back with a pair of plastic bowls. "You haven't eaten, have you?"

I couldn't avoid it now. Eni was awake. Besides, I'd known Noelle for two years now. She'd call me out on it if I didn't take the food. It did smell good.

When I took the bowl, it was full of noodles and vegetables. It looked like something Mama would make when one of us didn't feel good or was coming off of something.

I couldn't really just slow myself down. It tasted like Mama made it. It was amazing.

Eni came and sat by me. "You didn't want me to notice, but you didn't really eat last night."

My flames pooled in my cheeks. I guess I didn't hide it as well as I thought I did.

Noelle looked us both in the eye. "If your moms were here right now, they'd probably tell you if you can't take care of yourselves then take care of each other."

That made sense... I was definitely more worried about Eni than myself. Couldn't speak for my brother, though.

A while after that, I went into the kitchen to stretch my legs. I passed Ai in the hallway.