Chapter 28 - Nyssa

Start from the beginning

My heart skipped a beat at the sight, at a memory. The memory of Nyx proposing to me on a night like this, in a world far away...

I shook the memory off my mind as Azriel cleared his throat from the brief winnow. I remembered winnowing wasn't as effortless to others as it was to me, eyeing a slightly dimmer blue siphon under the light.

"Are you ok?" I asked, squeezing his gloved hand slightly, warmth spreading through me. His eyes scanned my face before glancing at our intertwined hands.

"Yeah," he responded, sounding slightly breathless. Neither of us made a move to pull away first.

An ache pained at my heart, and I forced myself to turn towards the mountains that were a blip in the night sky, far in the distance. The warmth from our contact disappeared, and I shivered at how truly cold the night was.

Azriel's shadows nipped at my heels as I took a few steps forward, my boots nearly reaching the waters of the lake. The edges were frozen, covered in a thin layer of ice, a sign of the winter that was fast approaching.

"Devlon said the warlords are being stubborn, so we should expect some trouble." He sidled up to my side, shoulder brushing mine as the ghost of a breeze kissed my neck as he flared his wings. "They won't give you too much, though."

"I can handle myself," I mused, glancing at Azriel out of the corner of my eye. He studied my face, his shadows tracing across him to create a phantom layer of armor. "Are they scared of you? Of Rhysand?"

Azriel blinked. He cleared his throat, looking away from my face to the calm lake in front of us, starlight glittering in his eyes. "Maybe. I don't rule with fear. Not as I once was."

My palms twitched as I cast my eyes towards his gloved palms. Flames, burning flesh. I clenched my fists, looking back forward and ignoring the dark look on my mate's face.

I already ensured that the souls of his step-brothers would be greeted with an eternity of reparations when they died.

I looked at him, studied his features washed in the silver starlight."If they are as stubborn as Lord Devlon is saying they are, I might have to use a little fear," I murmured, the wind blowing loose hairs from my braid.

Azriel didn't say anything, but he gave me a stiff nod. Understanding glimmered in his eyes as he shifted his wings, the edge of one hitting me softly.

"Sorry," he stammered quickly, taking a few steps away. His other hand came to grip his pack tightly as he pursed his lips to avoid saying whatever he was about to.

I took it as an opportunity to relieve the... anything that lingered. Anything uncomfortable.

"You better back up," I teased, pointing a finger at him in warning as I flexed my shoulders, turning to face him. "Remember who has the bigger wingspan."

I summoned my wings without much effort, the comfortable weight a welcome feeling. I flared them out fully, smiling at the sight. I tried to ignore my mate in front of me, the mate who looked so much like...

"You're worse than Cas," Azriel chastised, but mockingly, as he mirrored my smile. A bright, natural smile, one I've never seen him make before. My breath hitched at the sight.

It disappeared fast, and my wings dropped as I averted my gaze, a blush creeping up my neck at the ghost of that smile. I'd do anything to have him smile like that, forever.

"Shall we?" He asked, wings flaring as he glanced up in anticipation for takeoff.

"After you."