Chapter 28 - Nyssa

Nyssa's POV

The air was even more frigid as I left the bakery, my pack in one hand and a small tin of cookies in the otherwise. The rest were all wrapped and delivered, waiting for discovery. The one I held in my hand was meant mostly for Cassian, but it wouldn't hurt if Azriel had some.

I changed out of my pajamas into warm Illyrian leathers, lined with thick furs to guard against the weather. They were dyed black, and a deep violet embroidery created intricate designs that matched my eyes. My toes wiggled in my boots, trying to find warmth.

The thought of actually going to Illyria slowly grew into dread. I despise the lack of luxury. Centuries worth of it has truly spoiled me. But I knew how to deal without it, also centuries worth of experience. I more so dreaded the person Rhysand had asked me to be.

A cold and calculating general. No emotion. The Illyrian warlords preyed on it, exploited it. Rhys told me to use as much force as I wanted, without wiping them off the face of the realm.

I straightened my shoulders, eyes scanning the crowd for Azriel. As cold as it was, it didn't take the lively spirit out of the people of Velaris, excited for the Solstice that was only a few days away.

A breath I didn't realize I was holding escaped as I spotted him, overlooking the Sidra. My hands gripped the container tighter as I observed him from a distance. Shadows danced around him, shying away from the light of a lantern post nearby.

As if he felt my gaze, he turned around, a bored look on his face. His eyes glimmered for a moment as I came closer, anything I thought I saw disappearing as he tucked his hands in his pockets and raised a brow.

"Glad to see you decided to not waste any more time," he taunted as I came within earshot. I rolled my eyes, flexing my grip on my back to relieve some tension I didn't realize I had.

"I didn't realize it was so late," I mumbled, scanning the river behind him. My eyes drifted back to the Shadowsinger as he gave me a pointed look. "What?'

"Ready?" He asked impatiently.

"What's got you worked up?" I teased, smirking. I knew the answer was a set of lacy, black lingerie.

He pursed his lips, offering to carry my pack. I shrugged, stuffing the tin of cookies in it as he told me I better not drop it over the mountains, putting all my hard work to waste.

"Are we flying?" I asked, and he looked at me with intrigue.

"I think the warlords will faint if they saw your wingspan," he remarked, the intrigue lingering on his face.

"Like you nearly did?" I asked back, a quick smirk at the memory of the look on his face that evening. He refrained from scowling, instead offering his hand. My heart picked up a beat.

"We should winnow somewhere outside the city before flying," he told me, his hand hovering between us. I looked up at the sky, traces of light fading fast as the night rolled in. Something told me to just winnow straight in, whispers nagging at the back of my mind. But as I eyed my mates open hand, the thought of some smug bastards shitting themselves at the sight of me flying into their camp erased any doubts.

I placed my bare hand in his gloved one, warmth spreading from the contact. "Whisk me away, Shadowsinger."

He returned my smirk as he abruptly pulled me close, and the City of Starlight vanished around us.

Azriel winnowed to the shores of a large lake, a sea of starlight reflecting the open sky above as a chilling rustled the branches of the towering pines around us. The mountain range that edged around Velaris was behind us, a distant memory.