Chapter 20 - Feyre

Feyre's POV

Nyssa's dress shimmered as the remaining tendrils of smoke disappeared.

Instead of her usual honey brown hair, she had cropped black bob, the ends dusting her collarbone. Her dress was one of majesty, the blood-red fabric encrusted in patterns of rubies and crystals. The sleeves flourished at the wrists, hiding her palms from view unless she lifted them up. A deep neckline traced down, the swell of her breasts visible.

 A deep neckline traced down, the swell of her breasts visible

(A/N: Nyssa's dress!)

Keir looked petrified. Nyssa played with the edge of his collar before withdrawing her hand, bowing before Rhys and I. I saw her eyes glance toward Azriel, the Shadowsinger's gaze sweeping over in one indulgent look before steeling himself forward.

The crowd in the Court of Nightmares murmured in unease. Mor stood up, a smile on her face as she regarded Nyssa's dress. She walked forward, announcing, "Nyssa Highthorn, goddess of magic."

A wave of bewilderment and fear rolled through the room. There was a silence before Kier laughed out loud

Keir's voice was the only sound anyone dared to make as he scoffed, "A goddess of magic? No such thing exists."

"Did you like, not even see my entrance?" Nyssa asked him, a hand on her hip as a flash of fury crossed her face. "And what are you, steward?"

Keir opened his mouth, but no words came out. Nyssa gave him a feline smile, tapping his chest. "Cat got your tongue?"

Shadows swirled at her fingertips before Rhys raised a hand. "Enough."

Nyssa paused, casting a glance at our thrones. She hesitated to obey the order. I shot a warning look, for the sake of the sanity of the Court of Nightmares.

Alas, a bow. Her shadows withdrew, and she rose back up with a flourish, moving to stand beside my throne, an arm's distance away. Mor moved over, taking up the empty position at Nyssa's right. "I love your dress," I heard my best friend whisper. "And your haircut."

I agree - it was a shock seeing Nyssa out of her normal long and loose brown hair, but this look fit her fierce beauty well. It contrasted her features, making her appearance all the more deadly.

"Everyone," Rhys voice boomed in the silent hall as he commanded attention. Eyes trained toward the dias with what little remained. "Allow me to introduce Nyssa Highthorn, an honored guest of the Night Court. She is the new Commander of Artemis, the combined forces of the Night Court's military might."

Displeasure erupted through the strained silence in the room. Keir's face was contorted in absolute fury.

"She will be the commander of nothing. She is an absolute stranger. She has not even earned it. My Darkbringers will not follow her command, over my dead body."