Chapter 5 - ?

A/N: Slight Throne of Glass "spoilers," from Empire of Storms and before. No Tower of Dawn or Kingdom of Ash spoilers.

?'s POV  ✧

I left the Night Court the afternoon before the meeting between the different Courts. Feyre and Rhysand should be leaving later, as far as I've gathered, so it left me much time to get acquainted with the Dawn Court. After all, I suppose a realm can change much after 3,000 years.

I winnowed into the mountains on the border of the Winter and Dawn Court, opting to hike through them and into the High Lord's palace in order to elude suspicion. The hike through the mountains was much easier in my Fae form, which was supposed to be a tedious trek instead of a light exercise.

I made quick work, reaching the palace about an hour before sunset. I entered through the underground catacombs and sewer pipes under the sky-high palace. Using my shadows to conceal me for good measure, I slipped inside a door as a servant took some trash out, emerging into the busy kitchens below. Even though it was crowded, I used some fancy footwork and a little bit of magic to reach the hallways that lead to the rest of the palace.

Surfacing from the sub-levels of the palace, I came out into a small service hall and followed the flow of servants until I reached a corner that rounded into one of the main halls. I knew I was in one of the main halls, as the flow of servants became intermixed with royal courtiers and advisors, on their way to their duties.

When no one was looking, I quickly revealed myself, casting another quick glamor spell immediately after, dressing myself in the finery of a courtier. My glamored dress, simple as it was, looked to be made of pure silk. I added a heavy set of jewels to finish my look and carried myself with regality when I turned the corner.

I always forgot the downside to glamoring elaborate clothes on with my magic: I had to walk as if I was truly wearing the garments, otherwise even the most oblivious people would cast suspicious glances. It got tedious as I carried my arms as if they were folded and resting on the large skirt of my gown, rather than simply clothed in my assassin suit.

I plastered a serene smile on my face as I glided, thinking of Aelin as the daggers in the sleeve of my assassin suit became heavy, weighing down my arms. The assassin suit, a gift from my firey friend, was useful in many ways, but particularly burdensome under the glamor of beautiful finery.

I was walking leisurely, observing the faces of the people in the Court around me as I strolled along the halls. I followed the general flow of the crowd, where people began to return from or return to. My patience turned out to be rewarding as I finally turned another corner, and reached the main hall of the palace that united the three main towers.

I caught the eye of a servant walking by, and held my hand out to them in question, my face bewildered. "Pardon," I said, a fake thick Autumn Court accent (at least the typical accent from my last visit) disguising my voice as I spoke. "But I do hope you can help me. I seem to have gotten lost on the way to the library."

The servant listened to me intently, looking at my chest. It took me a second to remember I was glamored, and still clothed underneath, as I refrained from slapping the young 's attention back up to my face. He pointed me in the direction and I thanked him, politely picking up my glamored skirts and walking away.

I kept up the glamor until I reached the staircase, the light just dark enough for me to stick to the shadows once again. I heard the clock ring as it reached sunset, meaning dinner was finished. As far as I remembered, the Daytime Courts ate quite early into the evening and finished around sunset.