Chapter 22 - Cassian

✧ Cassian's POV ✧

After Rhys and I finished up at the Court of Nightmares, we met Feyre and Mor for lunch in Velaris. The day was sunny, but fierce winds blew from every direction, impossible to shield against.

Luckily, Rhys had used some handy charms to keep us warm as we had dined at a little outside cafe. I stayed silent mostly, cracking jokes here and there.

I always knew I would have a place in the Inner Court, and no one could replace it. But since Nyssa came, I felt a distance growing between Az and I as he was clearly enamored with her. Rhys promoted her Commander, a rank equal to mine. I didn't dare to let my ego get in the way. I knew Nyssa was capable, but I wish she didn't tackle it alone.

Nesta hasn't talked to anyone since Feyre banished her. There was no enactment on that as of yet, so I was grateful, but it enraged me that Feyre was so willing to give up. Although, Nesta's attitude is starting to wear at me, too. You can only talk to a brick wall for so long.

Amren was barely alive; I honestly didn't know if she was even in the Night Court at the present moment. Perhaps she was visiting Varian, in the warm beaches of the Summer Court. I've always let Amren do her own thing, also partially because I didn't want her to kill me, but I missed having someone to test my shitty jokes on. I missed her presence.

Mor had to spend a lot of time in the Court of Nightmares, and the toll it has taken on her is visible. At least, to me. I've always loved Mor, like my sister, and I could tell when something was picking at her. I made a mental note to ask her about it later.

On top of it all, this war loomed, and it was only a matter of waiting now. Starfall and the Winter Solstice was in a week, along with Feyre's birthday. I also made a mental note to help Mor plan it later.

After lunch had ended, Feyre and Rhys went to visit some dressmaker. The look in Mor's eyes told me they longed to follow, but Rhys ordered us to find out what has been pissing Az off the whole day.

"Don't forget to come clean, Mor!" Rhys added before Feyre pulled him into the crowds of Velaris.

"Come clean about what?" I asked Mor, glancing over as she swept a piece of her blonde hair out of her face.

"When I get you two bastards together," she said with a sigh, glancing back at me. "It'll be easier to tell you then."

"Tell me what?" I pressed, curious. Mor only rolled her eyes. I decided it wasn't worth to push.

She took my arm as we strolled along, making our way to the residential sector that Azriel and I's apartment was in. Mor snuggled close to me, and I wrapped a wing around her in an effort to block the winds.

"I wish Feyre was here to protect us from this shitty weather," Mor whined. I looked at her.

"How come you never use magic?" I ask. She shrugged.

"I use it for various things, but charms aren't my forte. I let the big boys deal with that."

"Could you like imagine Feyre as a big, muscular Illyrian though," I asked Mor, and my friend burst out laughing. The sound was music to my ears. I loved making my family laugh. I was glad it was a thing I excelled at, otherwise, the Court of Dreams would be pretty damn depressing most of the time.

"She already has the biggest wingspan," Mor agreed, and I pouted.

"Actually, Nyssa does," I reminded her, and she looked at me in realization as she laughed.

"Oh, gods, you're right," she said, her nose bunching up as she asked, "Do you remember the look on Az's face the first time he saw them?"

I recollected the night that the ships attacked Velaris. I certainly remember my awe at them. "No, but I remember mine. The sight of those wings turned me on a little, I'm not going to lie."