Chapter 21 - Azriel

Azriel's POV

A bracing breeze whipped at my face as I winnowed Nyssa and I onto the roof of the apartment building Cas and I shared. We owned private access to the roof, so I didn't have to worry about anyone listening in.

Velaris shone in the afternoon light. Winter was fast approaching, the sun not shining as bright and the days not as long. Nyssa's short, black hair blew around, tickling at my chin.

Her warmth left me as she stepped back sharply, pushing her hair out of her face, the sleeves of her gown bouncing. "What the fuck is going on?"

Something in my stomach turned into a knot. I hadn't really thought I would confront Nyssa in this way. I hadn't really thought of anything, to be honest. That's a first. I usually planned ahead, but I found myself incapable to think as she glared at me.

I tried to form words, but her face was fierce as she pressed on. "Hello? Are you fucking mute now?"

"I'm perfectly capable of speaking, thanks," I responded sarcastically, straightening my back as I found my words. She clenched her fists at her side.

"Ok, so tell me what stick is up your ass." The wind blew loose hairs around her face, her lips coming to rest in a sensual pout as she waited for me.

"You don't really get to be in a demanding position," I told her, the knot in my stomach suddenly flaring my temper. She arched a surprised brow as scoffed.

"Who is the goddess here?"

"I might as well be a mortal because you've put me in a position where either you kill me faster than Rhys does." My anger and nerves bundled in my stomach. No one boils my blood like Nyssa does. Not even Cassian.

"I don't even know what you're talking about," she yelled, throwing her hands in the air. I watched her carefully as she began pacing, her back turned to me. "Everything these days is spoken in layers. Why does no one ever say what they want to say."

"Real ironic, coming from you," I scoffed, and she shot me a warning look over her shoulder. "Do you really just want me to say it straight?"

She nodded impatiently, face twitching in irritation as she looked away from me.

"Arabella, the first High Lady of the Night Court." I think both of our heart stopped as I spoke the words.

Nyssa froze, her back facing me. The only sounds came from the city below us, and the whispers that faded as the wind whipped past.

I gulped. Honestly, Nyssa just might turn around and smite me on the spot, but at least it will save me from having to tell Rhys I withheld information from him. Information about an asset he still had doubts about. I took my chances as I went on.

"Nyx was the first High Lord, the one who established Velaris... your mate, and you we-,."

My breath caught as she turned around, her regular mask of glamor gone. She was still gorgeous, divinely so, but she looked less polished as raw emotion was on her face.

Her eyes were back to their lavender color, but they darkened as she harshly whispered, "My husband."

My brows furrowed. Something came up, getting stuck in my throat as I gave her an inquisitive look. It felt like... hope? Hope for what? I suppressed it quickly.

"Our mating bond never clicked," she admitted, her voice soft and rough with tears. I saw the sleeves of her dress move almost imperceptibly, her clenched fists trembling. "We wed in hopes it would. We never had the chance."