Chapter 8 - Feyre/Nyssa

Feyre's POV

The meeting concluded swiftly after Nyssa shared her memories with us. Even though Rhys seemed hostile to her for some unknown reason, we all voted and unanimously approved Nyssa staying in Prythian and protecting us. While she definitely wasn't expected, it was our best choice to protect our people and our Courts. I think many of the other High Lord's saw that as well.

Rhys and I argued over whether or not she was allowed to stay in Velaris when the meeting was dismissed, and we were back in our quarters. In essence, what we decided did not matter anyway since we knew that Nyssa could get into Velaris without our knowledge if she desired. She already did once.

I listened to his reservations about her. Rhys said he doesn't trust her yet, as she dodges around a lot about her past. Personally, I thought he was just being overly protective as always. She can't possibly tell us her life story in under an hour. She's a goddess, one who is practically millions of years old. But I understood his point of view, as my husband and as a High Lord. We agreed to let her stay if we kept her under close watch for the time being.

"Just until we can trust her," he had told me. I did not dispute the decision. Even though I am grateful already for Nyssa's presence, I think the rest of our Inner Circle will agree with me when I say we can't afford to trust people easily. We are all still healing ourselves, and I don't want someone new creating fresh wounds over the ones that are still salted.

Rhys and I were talking in our room when someone knocked on our door. I put the clothes I was folding down as Rhys opened the bedroom door, motioning for me to follow him into the reception room that connected the bedrooms our Court stayed in. I curiously followed him out, emerging to see Thesan standing casually as he waited for us.

Thesan shook Rhys' when he came out, kissing my hand when I caught up.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?' Rhys joked to Thesan. The High Lord of Dawn gave a small smile as he sighed, moving to clasp his hands behind his back.

"I am sure you are taking the necessary precautions," Thesan began, and I sat down by the window next to Az with a smile before turning back to our host, "but I do not think Nyssa Highthorn is telling us her whole story. I would be careful."

"Why do you say that?' Mor asked inquisitively, coming out of her own room with her barely closed trunk visible through the open door behind her.

"A few reasons, as minute as they may seem," Thesan said, sighing as he sat down. Rhys sat in the armchair opposite of him as the High Lord explained.

"She successfully got into my palace without my knowing. Anyone to even have that much power to do something as mundane as that... not to mention the meeting. All of the High Lords, and Ladies, had no knowledge she was there, for a good portion of the meeting. In my experience, someone with that kind of power does not return to a realm they haven't traveled to in what, five thousand to ten thousand years, and act like they left yesterday. "

"I also think she was leaving out a lot of information," Az added quietly, as he brooded. Everyone ceased any movement to hear what he has to say. "She looked like she bit her tongue a lot, to refrain from saying too much.¨

Thesan took him seriously. "You're right," the High Lord said. He sat there for a moment in thought before shaking his head and saying, "I would recommend checking books and scrolls in any libraries in your court for information on her. I had my own librarians check our oldest, most sacred records, and there is not any mention of her in any decipherable language."

"That's weird," I said to myself, sharing a look with Rhys. "We'll check our records. Perhaps we might get lucky, as she said she lived in our Court."