Ch. 12: Surprises

"Kiara Riddle."

Chapter 12: Surprises

"Why would Snape make a promise with your mother?" Harry asked quietly as the pair sat on the Hogwarts Express together. It was the following day after Slughorn's Christmas Party and those wanting to return home for Christmas were aboard the Hogwarts Express as it travelled to Kings Cross station.

Currently, Ron was called as the Gryffindor Prefect to investigate a disturbance amongst some Third Years at the other end of the train, leaving Harry and Kiara to discuss the events from the night before. Hermione however, decided to remain at Hogwarts, possibly to stay away from Ron and Lavender who were still in the honeymoon phase of their sickening relationship.

"For Draco's safety," Kiara said thoughtfully. She spent most of the night before awake in bed, staring at the ceiling as she replayed Draco and Snape's words over and over in her head. "My mother never wanted to be a Death Eater. She wouldn't want Draco to be either."

Although she wouldn't admit it to anyone aloud, the possibility of Draco being branded with the Dark Mark, making him a Death Eater, terrified her. Her twin brother was now fighting for the dark side. And, if Voldemort could force Draco to become a Death Eater, what would prevent him from making Kiara one as well?

"But, why make a promise with Snape?"

Kiara opened her mouth to respond but the compartment door slid open, revealing a Second Year Hufflepuff who was shifting awkwardly.

"Hello," Kiara said politely, smiling at the nervous girl.

"Are you Kiara?" The small girl said in a quiet voice, looking between Kiara and Harry nervously. Kiara nodded in response and the girl handed her a piece of folded parchment. "I was asked to give you this."

Kiara thanked the girl kindly, took the parchment from her and unfolded it. Immediately, a small smile appeared on her lips as she read the few words that were scrawled neatly across the page.

"Who is it from?" Harry asked curiously but he already had a sneaking suspicion from her pink eyes. It was the same shade that they were last night when he saw her at Slughorn's party.

"Cameron," Kiara said quietly, not knowing how Harry would react if she openly displayed her excitement. She summoned a quill from her bag and quickly scrawled something on the opposite side of the parchment before pocketing it.

"Kiara, are you sure about being around him? He is in Slytherin for a reason."

Kiara wasn't sure how to answer. It wasn't because she didn't trust Cameron, because she did. She was worried however, how her friends would react once they discovered how close she was becoming with him.

"He asked me to go see him. I won't be long Harry."

Before Harry could ask any more questions, Kiara ducked out the compartment. She tucked her short bangs behind her ears as she walked down the train until she reached Compartment 38E. There was only one person sitting in the compartment, his dark hair messily pushed back as he read a book. With a deep breath, she slid the door open.

Cameron's amber eyes flicked up from his book. A smirk appeared on his face as he marked his page and closed his book softly. "Malfoy."

"Harrison," Kiara grinned, sitting on the seat opposite to him. She threw him the piece of parchment, nodding at it. "How much did you pay that Second-Year to come deliver the note?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Well-,"

"Did it make you smile?" Cameron interrupted Kiara's argument.