Ch. 23: Apparition

"Kiara Riddle."

Chapter 23: Apparition

"... Dumbledore wants me to speak with Slughorn and persuade him to give me the real memory of what was said between him and Tom Riddle," Harry explained, talking about his lesson with Dumbledore to Kiara and Hermione in a deserted courtyard on break. In the short space of time, Harry managed to briefly repeat the memories from the Pensieve after Kiara left Dumbledore's office.

"He must be determined to hide what really happened if Dumbledore couldn't get it out of him," Hermione said in a low voice. "Horcruxes...Horcruxes...I've never even heard of them..."

"You haven't?" Harry asked, disappointedly. He glanced at Kiara in desperation but she shook her head.

"I thought I would've overheard it from my Father but clearly, it's too advanced, even for him."

"They must be really advanced Dark magic, or why would Voldemort have wanted to know about them?" Hermione pointed out. "I think it's going to be difficult to get the information, Harry, you'll have to be very careful about how you approach Slughorn, think out a strategy..."

"Ron reckons I should just hang back after Potions this afternoon..."

"Oh, well, if Won-Won thinks that, you'd better do it," Hermione snapped, her tone changing immediately. "After all, when has Won-Won's judgement ever been faulty?"

"Hermione, can't you-,"

"No!" She said angrily, and stormed away. Kiara sighed, turning to Harry who stared after her, confused.

"I only mentioned his name," was all he said.

Kiara wrapped her arm around his shoulder as the bell rang, signalling the end of break and the beginning of their next lesson, Potions. "Maybe we should call him You-Know-Who from now on."

*

In February, the Sixth-Years were due to begin their twelve week course of Apparition lessons. Because of the constant fall of rain, the grounds became muddy and slippery and the lessons were redirected to the Great Hall on a Saturday morning. The tables were missing, creating a large open space for the Sixth-Years to begin. Kiara stood beside Harry and Hermione while Ron stood uncomfortably with Lavender who insisted on having his arm wrapped around her tightly.

Kiara wondered for a moment if they would intertwine limbs permanently if they attempted to Apparate at all.

Everyone assembled in front of Professors McGonagall, Snape, Flitwick and Sprout — the Heads of House — and a small wizard, the Apparition Instructor from the Ministry. He was oddly colourless, with transparent eyelashes, wispy hair and an insubstantial air, as though a single gust of wind might blow him away. Kiara thought that maybe he lost his colour over the years, due to the constant Apparating and Disapparating.

"Good morning," the Ministry wizard greeted. "My name is Wilkie Twycross and I shall be your Ministry Apparition Instructor for the next twelve weeks. I hope to be able to prepare you for your Apparition test in this time—,"

"Malfoy, be quiet and pay attention!" Professor McGonagall barked.

Kiara jumped, glancing left to right before she realised that everyone was staring elsewhere. Draco flushed a dull pink; he looked furious as he stepped away from Crabbe, with whom he appeared to have been having a whispered argument. Kiara gave her brother a curious stare but he shook his head slightly, averting his gaze immediately.

"— by which time, many of you may be ready to take your test," Twycross continued, as though there had been no interruption. "As you may know, it is usually impossible to Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts. The Headmaster has lifted this enchantment, purely within the Great Hall, for one hour, so as to enable you to practice. May I emphasise that you will not be able to Apparate outside the walls of this Hall, and that you would be unwise to try. I would like each of you to place yourselves now so that you have a clear five feet of space in front of you."