Ch. 36: Crossroads

"Kiara Riddle."

Chapter 36: Crossroads

Inside the Hospital Wing, Neville was lying, apparently asleep, in a bed near the door. Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Luna, Tonks, and Lupin were gathered around another bed near the far end of the ward. They all looked exhausted and dishevelled with scratches, bruises and ripped clothing. At the sound of the doors opening with a soft creak, they all looked up.

"Are you okay, Kiara?" Hermione asked, hugging her. She glanced down at her arm which was covered in dried blood. Meanwhile, Fred and George walked towards Bill who was lying on the bed. Madam Pomfrey was dabbing at his wounds with some harsh-smelling green ointment.

"I'm okay, Fred healed me," Kiara murmured, hiding her arm from view behind her back. She didn't want unnecessary attention. "Is he okay?"

"Miss Malfoy," Madam Pomfrey shook her head, noticing her shifty body language from across the room. She could pick out an injury without blinking. "Unless you want permanent scarring, I assure you that I must apply some Essence of Dittany to your arm."

Kiara nodded, extending her arm for Madam Pomfrey to assess and heal. Hermione looked uncertain, staring at Kiara's disfigured scar across her forearm. "He'll make it but Lupin isn't sure. His wounds are cursed and they are unlikely to ever heal fully. He may even have some wolfish characteristics from now on."

"What does that even mean?" George thought aloud, staring at Hermione. "Is he going to start howling at the full moon now?"

"Not the time, George," Kiara shook her head disappointedly. She glanced at Harry who was emotionless but trembling. He appeared unharmed but his trainers were covered in blood and dirt, his t-shirt was ripped at awkward angles and there were scratches on his face. "Are you alright, Harry? Where's Dumbledore? I thought you were with him. Or, is he trying to repair the school?"

"Dumbledore would know a way to heal Bill," Fred exclaimed, beaming at the thought. "Of course! We'll wait to ask him."

Everyone stared at them, grief etched across their faces. "Why are you all looking at us like that?"

"I thought you knew already... Dumbledore's dead," Ginny choked out.

"He can't be!" Kiara protested, staring at Harry who nodded slightly, confirming Ginny's statement. "No, no, no. Draco... He said he didn't kill him." Her body was trembling, thinking that her brother had lied to her yet again. Fred moved towards her, holding her hand and steadying her. Ginny and George noticed this exchange but under the circumstances, they didn't feel like smiling even though it comforted their hurt a little.

"Because he didn't," Harry replied blankly. "Snape did. Malfoy was meant too but... He was lowering his wand. He wouldn't have done it."

Tears fell down Kiara's cheeks. She couldn't believe it. Dumbledore was dead; the most powerful wizard who could fight Voldemort. More notably for her anxiety, Draco hadn't lied to her because he didn't kill him. It was Snape.

Snape betrayed Dumbledore.

"What the bloody hell happened tonight? I thought the castle was safe... Spells, protections, patrols," George said loudly, glancing between everyone.

"I don't know exactly how it happened," Professor McGonagall said distractedly. "It's all so confusing... Dumbledore had told us that he would be leaving the school for a few hours and that we were to patrol the corridors just in case... Remus, Bill, and Nymphadora were to join us, as well as Fred and George but they arrived much later in the evening, if not, during the fight... And so we patrolled. All seemed quiet. Every secret passageway out of the school was covered. We knew nobody could fly in. There were powerful enchantments on every entrance into the castle. I still don't know how the Death Eaters can possibly have entered..."