Ch. 11: The Christmas Party

"Kiara Riddle."

Chapter 11: The Christmas Party

At eight o'clock the following evening, Kiara stood outside the entrance to the Gryffindor Common Room, twirling her wand absentmindedly in her fingertips. She was wearing a mid-length dress with pale blue-coloured lace, accentuating her pale skin and silvery, blonde hair. It was fortunate for her that she purchased a dress from Madam Malkin's in the summer, otherwise she would've presumably borrowed an outfit from Ginny.

"I'm not even surprised that you didn't disappoint me," Kiara glanced up from the ground, smiling politely as Cameron walked around the corner. "I am surprised about how beautiful you are, though."

"You cleaned up well tonight too," Kiara commented, trying to contain her giddiness. Cameron was dressed in an elegant set of midnight blue dress robes. His hair was messily styled but in a way, that looked perfect. It was his smirk that stood out. His damned smirk that made Kiara look away sheepishly and smile.

"I can't compare with you. There was no possibility of that happening," Cameron observed, outstretching his hand to Kiara. "Shall we get going then?"

"I guess..." Kiara sighed, looking almost bored. Cameron raised his eyebrows, causing her to laugh and take his hand. "Oh, come on. As if you want to associate with conceited ex-members of the Slug Club."

Cameron led Kiara down the Grand Staircase towards Slughorn's office. "It's no different from his dinners with McLaggen or Zabini."

"Last names for fellow Slytherins? That's low," Kiara mused.

"Look who's talking, you've called your own brother 'Malfoy' a few times."

"It's hard to remember sometimes..."

"That he's your brother or his first name?"

"Both."

The two arrived at Slughorn's party, sniggering. Their quiet laughter increased when Slughorn appeared, wearing a velvet hat and a jacket that seemed to be smouldering slightly. "Kiara and Cameron! Arriving together as a couple? Who would've ever thought..."

Cameron squeezed Kiara's hand discreetly, directing her to try and control her laughter in a polite manner. "Well, sir, we thought you'd prefer to keep our invites between ourselves."

"And what an honour to have you both!" Slughorn boomed, his loud voice echoing over the singing in the room. "Come in, come in. Kiara, I already have people who would love to meet an Arcus Oculus."

Kiara internally sighed, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. She wasn't content with the prospect of strangers questioning her about a gift that she struggled with for a long period of time, even now. Cameron immediately noticed her stiffness, possibly through the way that she unintentionally squeezed his hand tightly.

"Professor, would you mind if we grab Kiara some food first? She hasn't eaten all day and I'm sure you don't want her to collapse mid-conversation tonight," Cameron asked, smiling courteously at Slughorn.

"Of course, m'boy! We don't want anything bad to happen to Miss Malfoy this evening, especially because I have so many guests who are dying to have a glimpse!"

Cameron nodded curtly at Slughorn before leading Kiara away, towards a House-Elf carrying a silver tray. "Take something while he's watching."

"Thank you," Kiara smiled appreciatively. Cameron let go of her hand as she picked up a small quiche. "I hate that he treats me as a fancy item for everyone to ogle over."

"I thought you'd be used to the ogling by now. I do it every time I see you," Cameron smirked. Kiara laughed at his playful comment.

"You don't objectify me," she glanced discreetly in Slughorn's direction. Fortunately, his back was turned as Harry and Luna entered the room, stealing his attention. "Quick! Harry's here!"