Ch. 25: The New Keeper

"Kiara Riddle."

Chapter 25: The New Keeper

The week following Ron's poisoning was somewhat more eventful than normal. For instance, Harry unwillingly agreed that Cormac McLaggen should play Keeper instead of Ron for their match against Hufflepuff on the following Saturday. Kiara was unhappy about this, but realised that Ron was in no shape to play and McLaggen was the obvious choice as second pick at the Quidditch team trials. Unfortunately for Harry, he regretted this decision almost immediately when McLaggen kept cornering him at each and every spare moment to discuss why he was better as a permanent Keeper than Ron. Even Kiara was becoming increasingly annoyed, particularly when he started discussing his personal criticisms of other players such as herself, and different strategies that they should undertake.

It got to a point that when he approached Harry after their Transfiguration class to complain that Kiara missed one goal at training, she politely asked him if he would prefer to play by himself on Saturday without any other team mates, considering his head was big enough for a team of seven. Chortling at his gobsmacked expression, she walked away with Harry to their next class.

Even worse, was Lavender Brown who also began cornering Harry, but for completely different and unnerving reasons. At first, Lavender was very annoyed that nobody had thought to tell her that Ron was in the hospital wing — "I mean, I am his girlfriend!"— but unfortunately she had now decided to forgive Harry and Kiara for this lapse of memory, even though Kiara reassured her that, she intentionally chose not to tell her. This meant that she began having in-depth chats with mostly Harry about Ron's feelings, a most uncomfortable experience for Kiara who groaned everytime she saw Lavender approaching.

"Look, why don't you talk to Ron about all this?" Harry asked, after a particularly long interrogation from Lavender that took in everything from precisely what Ron had said about her new drew robes to whether or not Harry thought that Ron considered his relationship with Lavender to be "serious." Meanwhile, Kiara was sniggering, particular when Lavender asked Harry how many times they should snog in a day.

"Well, I would, but he's always asleep when I go and see him!" Lavender replied fretfully.

"Is he?" Harry said, sharing a surprised glance with Kiara for Ron was always perfectly alert every time they had been up to the hospital wing.

"Is Hermione Granger still visiting him?" Lavender demanded suddenly.

"Is that a crime?" Kiara scowled. She also visited Ron, but didn't see the issue.

"Yeah, I think so. Well, they're friends, aren't they?" Harry said uncomfortably.

"Friends, don't make me laugh," Lavender huffed. "She didn't talk to him for weeks after he started going out with me! But I suppose she wants to make up with him now he's all interesting..."

Kiara opened her mouth to respond with something quite rude but Harry cut her off, sensing that she was about to rip into Lavender.

"Would you call getting poisoned being interesting?" Harry asked quickly. "Anyway — sorry, got to go — there's McLaggen coming for a talk about Quidditch."And Harry was gone through a secret passageway. Lavender glanced at Kiara, opening her mouth to most likely, start ranting about Ron but Kiara held up her hand. "Before you start, I do not want to hear about your dying, diminishing and deteriorating relationship with Ronald. You both were doomed when he looked at cream tarts with more love in his eyes. At least Hermione's got that over you," and turning on her heel, she skipped away from yet another, thunderstruck victim of the week.

On the morning of the Quidditch Match, Kiara walked down to the Pitch after breakfast with Hermione and Ginny while Harry stopped to check in with Ron just prior, who was unable to watch the Match. Despite his protests, Madam Pomfrey felt that it would overexcite him and could negate any progress that he had made.